News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

filing

Started by Tim Allen, January 15, 2014, 08:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Allen

I am reading about a lot of people having problems with the E-Z Tack turnouts with derailing or shorting out, and people suggest to file them. How do I file it of it happens, what do I use? I tried to find a youtube video to see but had no luck. I am a visual learner so just trying to figure it out if I have to do it. My trains do make a clicking sound when they go over the turnout but nothing has really derailed yet.

jbrock27

Timmy, ever hear the expression "don't fix what ain't broke"?
If you are not suffering any derailments, my suggestion is leave it be.  Does the clicking sound bother you?  It is not an abnormal sound.  I kinda like hearing "clickity clack" on my RR :)

But you would use a small file if in the event you had to.  Keep searching the net, the photos or YouTube is out there and there are also books that reference how to do this.  If you have not already, you could also go to the SEARCH field here and try finding info on the subject that way.  If I knew any links offhand I would provide them.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Tim Allen

LOL, yes I have heard that expression, but the enemy of good is better  ::) Just trying to prepare myself if it happens. I did use the search function on here, but all I can find is people "talking: about doing it but not actually how to do it or what kind of file to do it with.

jbrock27

I don't know I ever heard that expression :D, but it makes sense, the "enemy" is right!. 
Try not to keep yourself awake at night over it LOL!  I have learned not to question or worry why things work.
Not trying to be trite, but a small metal file, like you find in set of small files you can buy from a place like AMAZON and use in a pin vise, is what to use if you had to.
Also, for a book reference, it might not be a bad idea for you to pick up a book that has this info and photos as well as other good train related pointers.  Kalmbach and Atlas put out such books. 
Did you also search YouTube?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Tim Allen

Thanks, I will check it out tomorrow. Maybe I am just getting tired and I am not thinking straight. Thanks for your help.

jbrock27

No sweat.  You're welcome.  Have a good night's sleep.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

I build my own switches, so I have a lot of experience with filing the switchpoints.

what I do is use something like a matchstick or small piece of plastic to block the point open. the block gfoes between the point and the adjacent stock rail. I file the inside edge of the point (where the wheel flange rides) at the end, so that I get a good sharp edge. the whole purpose is to remove the blunt end of the point, so that the wheel flange doesn't bump into a rail end but rather glides along a point which is tapered to fit the stock rail. another trick that can be done is to twist the rail slightly just ahead of the point, with a pair of needlenose pliers. you want just enough of a kink in the stock rail to provide a recess for the point to fit into, but not enough to put the track out of guage.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

**Sorry Tim, meant to reference Model Railroader books as well.  I have seen these books include pictures.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Tim-

Only when you already have a problem to fix: file the side of the point that does not contact the
stock rail, never the side which contacts the stock rail. Also, you can file a very shallow pocket into the medial surface of the stock rail so the tip of the point has a place to nestle into. This is a way to decrease the probability of a wheel picking the point. But don't go for better if you have good when it comes to turnouts. You can end up creating a problem for yourself.
                                                                                                                                                                                 -- D