News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC loco just quit running.

Started by IowaEagle, January 13, 2014, 12:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaEagle

I recently purchased two GE 70 tonner DCC locos.  I was using one this weekend, with the Bachmann EZ command control and it just quit running.  The other one works just fine.  Any suggestions or is this a warranty issue.  Thank you.

GG1onFordsDTandI

It is under warranty, if you don't "look forward" to tinkering and troubleshooting start the warranty process by sending an e-mail to them. Otherwise, does the headlight come on? Motor "hum"? No? Have to start with tracing power into the loco and go from there. 

GG1onFordsDTandI

Look up dcc reset for that loco and try that 1st too. ::) :-[

richg

S.O.P. Standard Operating Procedure for problem DCC equipped locos.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18977.0.html

Rich

IowaEagle

Is resetting the same as assigning a new number?  I have tried that.   In the topic I was referred to it mentions "CV8" to 8.  I have no idea what that means.  Thanks.

richg

Quote from: IowaEagle on January 13, 2014, 03:09:59 PM
Is resetting the same as assigning a new number?  I have tried that.   In the topic I was referred to it mentions "CV8" to 8.  I have no idea what that means.  Thanks.

Reset mean resetting to factory specs. The engine from when it was new. 3.  S.O.P. Standard Operating procedure. This can vary with a few different brands of decoders.
You need to do a lot of reading about DCC. The step from DC to DCC is a big step. The DCC experts will mostly tell you it is easy. What they are saying is, easy for them.
You are going from an Analogue world to a Digital world.
You can also search the Bachmann forums.
A Google search will bring up thousands of DCC links on may different aspects of DCC and there are many. if you do not need to be led by the hand.

Rich

MarkInLA

IowaE, don't know if I'm jumping in too late or even positive this is your problem: In my first few months in DCC I was unaware that when an engine refused to budge, it's long or short address I'd programed into system (such as #1908. [Number on side of cab]) had been deleted somehow due to futzing around with other CV values. So, I'd go nuts as to why it was running 10 minutes ago and not now ! Turns out loco was accidentally reprogramed back to factory default address 3.  I know now to immediately go to 'Address loco' and re-address it 1908, or just hit 'select loco' and enter '3'. It will continue to run as 3 until I do give  it a different  number. 
Mark