News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K4 4-6-2 Locomotive

Started by LaniLy, January 11, 2014, 02:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaniLy

Hi all, I am new in here and have a question. I just bought a used K4 4-6-2 and it is not running. what should I do to fix it? or what should I look into? thank you

richg

Quote from: LaniLy on January 11, 2014, 02:03:32 PM
Hi all, I am new in here and have a question. I just bought a used K4 4-6-2 and it is not running. what should I do to fix it? or what should I look into? thank you

Not nearly enough info
What did you try to do with what?
DCC, DC controller?

Rich

Doneldon

Lani-

Take it back to where you got it for a refund. Yes, you can sometimes get a wonderful locomotive at a fabulous price if you buy a stinker and fix it, but that's not a good idea unless you know what the fix involves and how to do it. Your problem can be anything from dirty wheels to a burned out motor, stripped gears or a fried DCC decoder. The repair parts, if any are needed, can be anything from a few cents to $100. And you may even need to purchase appropriate tools to effect the repair. So ... get your money back until you have the knowledge to diagnose and fix what's wrong.

Please note that I'm not saying this because I'm offended that you would buy something at, hopefully, a great price and expect this board to do your work for you, although I must admit that I do feel that way a little bit. I'm saying it because your lack of knowledge is reflected by your not knowing enough about the hobby or your problem to give us sufficient information to even start to identify what the problem is, much less what to do about it. Get a bit deeper in the hobby before you start buying restoration projects.
                                                                                                                                                                         -- D

LaniLy

I bought two of them on craigslist. they said they are brand new and never run, that's why I bought. One of them is running fine, but the other is not. I bought them for my kids to play. I run on DC.

Gone loco

Hi, do not be discouraged by what some of the member/s say, I don't know enough about the K4 otherwise I would help,but I will say that someone who's not having a bad day will help you in this matter, we all make mistakes and I feel strongly that the member who answered your last message has probably been into modelling too long!

Irbricksceo

In order to help out, we need to know a few things. Here are some things you can do to get us info:

Put the working and non working K4's on the track together, when power is applied, does the working one move?
Listen carefully to the Locomotive that does not work, do you hear any noise?
Do the headlights work?
Are the Wheels and rods clear of debris?
Are all wire plugged in correctly?
Try it in both directions, do both fail?

If we can get more info, we  may be able to give you some tips. Please realize however that if the problem is electrical, you will almost definitely need to be able to solder with a steady hand. If it is mechanical they you are looking at a rebuild. I do not think Doneldon was being aggresive towards you, and I would gladly offer any advice I can give, but working on locomotives Is hard, especially the newer ones, and If you were able to return in (which you probably cant because it was craigslist) I would have. I have been in this hobby since I was  eight, and now, a decade later, I am finally working on my first Locomotive restoration.

Whatever you do, good luck.
Modeling NYC in N

GG1onFordsDTandI

We do need more all info right off the bat. Scale, Power pack type/size, brand (make and year sometimes), track type, conditions for failed attempts at running, and successful alike.
For instance if you attempted to run the loco off the ac accessory terminals you may have burned it out. If the headlight comes on we know its getting power in the loco. Does the other loco work fine? Because the loco is not in front of us and there are many variables, process of elimination is our greatest tool. We need info for that.

Don is an asset here, normally helpful as can be. I think your lack of input frustrated him a bit as he wanted to help. Also remember when writing things can be read that someone doesn't necessarily mean. Normally a series of posts(or lack of) best reflects an authors true feelings and intentions. 
I.e. you just told one of your unpaid volunteer mechanic, in a note, "my car wont go", rather than "it starts and runs, but stalls", do you think he is happy ;)?

richg

Quote from: LaniLy on January 12, 2014, 02:05:08 PM
I bought two of them on craigslist. they said they are brand new and never run, that's why I bought. One of them is running fine, but the other is not. I bought them for my kids to play. I run on DC.

Open up the tender and see if anything is plugged into the eight pin socket.
There should be a six pin adapter that allows it to run on DC.
If there is a decoder, it might be a Bachmann EZ Command decoder but only a guess as the loco is used.

Most decoders today are dual mode, DC or DCC. You have to turn up the power pack somewhat higher than with a straight DC loco.

As an assist, posting more info and sometimes a photo will be a big help. Since you know how to use a PC, it is not a big deal. Get a Photo Bucket account. Many times you will get a quicker assist.

http://photobucket.com/

Rich