News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

changing steam drivers

Started by herbyguitar, January 13, 2014, 04:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herbyguitar

I would like to know just how easy/hard it is to remove and resemble the wheels to the axles of a Baldwin 2-8-0

I'm going to attempt to turn the drivers down to a code 72 semi-fine scale profile.

Thanks,
Herb
.           ~~~~  ____   _____
.        ,-II---==|[m]| |_____|
.       <oo-OOO-oo/   oo--oo

Irbricksceo

I have done it, It is not all that hard but reassembly (especially with the valve gear) is tricky and, if not done correctly, you can do significant damage.

Doing it involves the following steps:

1. for ease remove the shell
2. disconnect the chassis from the body
3. unscrew the small screws keeping the rods and valve gear attached to the drivers.
4. CAREFULLY remove each wheel from the frame.

Steps 1 and 2 were covered by jonathan very well here:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13232.0.html
Modeling NYC in N

herbyguitar

Quote from: herbyguitar on January 13, 2014, 04:06:06 PMremove and resemble the wheels to the axles
Good article. I've done this before and it's amazing how these little things are put together.
pressing wheels off and back onto the axles was my main question though  ;)

Herb

uscgtanker

Making a press is easy if you have a vise clamp. first take two blocks of wood and drill a hole in the center, this hole is for the axle. then the rest is easy enough. put the new wheels on then press them together with the clamp. and do have a track or wheel gauge handy. And take very short distances like several thousands at a time.

ebtnut

The real trick with steam locos is that you have to have all the drivers quartered the same so that the rods don't bind.  Northwest Short Line makes/made a quartering jig for this purpose.  I think you can still get it from Oso Railworks. 

herbyguitar

Thanks for the info.
I noticed the drivers have an insulation grommet between the wheel and the shaft. This is a concern since I've never worked with this setup before. Pressing the wheels off and then back on while maintaining the 90 deg alignment and also having the proper snug fit looks like it could be a problem. I wasn't sure if the small plastic grommets would handle all the stress.