News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

identifying used trains

Started by tracymark, January 18, 2014, 08:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tracymark

My wife and I are new to this but we bought a santa fe engine it says 3500 on it and it is missing the couplers but we dont know how to look up the parts for this i've pulled pics up on line but they dont look exactly like mine

rogertra

We need to know the manufacturer of the locomotive and its scale.  HO scale, N gauge ?
What type of couplers are you using on your freight cars.

Generally speaking, all couplers from all manufacturers fit all loco, freight cars and passenger cars but we need to know what type you have.

If you don't know Google "Kadee couplers" and "horn-hook couplers", look at the pictures and tell which ones you have.

richg

You would do good to get a Photo Bucket account to post photos here of what you have. A photo is worth a thousand words and many times others can see what you are seeing.
I have been in model train forums since 1998 and have seen the difference in many discussions with no pictures and with pictures.

http://photobucket.com/

Rich

Doneldon

Tracy and Mark-

We also need to know if your loco is steam or diesel and about how old you think it is.

-- D

jward

most likely a lifelike gp38-2.

another less likely possibility is an older Bachmann gp40.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

Quote from: jward on January 19, 2014, 12:02:49 PM
most likely a lifelike gp38-2.

another less likely possibility is an older Bachmann gp40.

I though the AT&SF 3500s were GP38s, not GP38-2s?

jward

they were, in real life. on older models the numbers often did not match what the real ones had.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

Quote from: jward on January 19, 2014, 08:01:57 PM
they were, in real life. on older models the numbers often did not match what the real ones had.

And, sadly, not on some newer ones as well.   :(