News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

coaling tower

Started by r.cprmier, September 25, 2007, 07:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.cprmier

Model Railroader ran an article this issue on coaling towers-and how to construct a round tower, using a Tichy tower kit, but scoffing most of the kit as it is.  I consider going that route to be a bit of a waste.  I wonder how many people are aware that, if you choose not to go with Don's tower-which is a great kit in and of itself-that the detail kit is available.  If interested, go to his website.  He also has some other really nice kits available, particularly, the Wrecker, boom car, and the 52' gondola; in N as well as HO scales; as well as a whole range of detail parts; which are, in my opinion, top flight! 

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

Sid;
Correct.  It is not my intent to discourage people from buying kits; but rather to take a look at another alternative. 

Oh, by the way; Plastruct also carries plastic shapes-and the cones that they carry are just what the doctor ordered.  They seem a bit pricey, but all things considered (like the hassle it is to create a cone out of sheet styrene-unless, of course, you happen to be a masochist) it is well worth the price. 

Plastruct is usually advertised in hobby mags like MR, RMC, etc.  They also have a website:  www.plastruct.com  do try these resources.  I think you will be happy.

Rich

ps:  I have built up a couple of the Tichy  (formerly Gould) wreckers, and they are a really neat looking model. 

Rich
Rich

martin_lumber

I don't see what is wrong with the article, as they are just showing you what can be done with a square coaling tower kit, and make it a round one.

Us Wisconsinites don't see all too many square ones that often, as two out of the three coaling towers within 60 miles of my house are round ones (the other is a direct-coaler). Thus, modelers would want to see more round coaling towers, and less of the square ones (The Walthers round bunker is an exact prototype of the Ashland, WI coaling tower, so it appears on most of our layouts)

I agree that the Tichy Kits are nice, and that it would be a shame to scrap a good kit for nothing, but some modelers would be willing to do that.

Phil

r.cprmier

Phil;
Whatever floats your boat.

Rich
Rich