Heavy Mountain Shell on Light Mountain Chassis?

Started by gatrhumpy, January 21, 2014, 12:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrhumpy

With the near non-availability of the N scale Heavy Mountain for under $150, would it be possible to put the Heavy Mountain shell on a Light Mountain chassis? Maybe with a little grinding?

brokemoto

The construction on the two locomotives is quite different.  The light has the type of steam construction that we have come to expect in N scale.  The heavy has a construction similar to the Model Power steam, except that Bachpersonn updated some of MP's 1970s construction methods.  The glaring improvement in the B-mann is the use of an all wheels live tender.  MP's steam has only half of the tender wheels live.  In addition, B-mann uses needlepoint axle pick up on its all wheels live tenders.  MP's half wheels live tenders use wipers (again, 1970s construction methods), which are not as reliable and create drag.

When modelling steam in N scale, it is important to keep in mind Miranda's Maxim as explained by ke:  'The poor performance on many N scale steam locomotives is often directly attributable to poor electrical contact.

You would need to do quite a bit of grinding to the inside of the heavy shell to get it onto the light chassis.  This assumes that the light chassis will support it.  The heavy is best left as it is.  It runs and pulls  much better than does the light.

Again, take a peek at Spookshow's website.

gatrhumpy

Not sure what Model Power has to do with anything. And I have that website bookmarked on my IE.

Mike C

Found 3 sites yesterday on the net that have at least 1 heavy mtn still in stock. 

gatrhumpy

I have tried Trainworld, BLMW, and they have them in stock, however, when I bought mine back earlier in 2013, I bought it from TW at $75. The best price I've seen is on TW at $149.

bobwrgt

When they were $75.00 at Trainworld you should have purchased a bunch. The HO crowd is having the same problem.  No availability. When the HO was selling for $65.00 I got 4 of them. Only managed to get one of the N scale for $75.00.
I waited almost 3 years to get a 2-10-2  in scale. Great engine but a bit high price. If they ever go below $100.00 I think I will get 3.
Would like to see Bachmann do a re-run with more roads.

brokemoto

Quote from: gatrhumpy on January 22, 2014, 10:07:49 AM
Not sure what Model Power has to do with anything.

Model Power is another manufacturer of model railroading items.  I mentioned them for purposes of comparison to Bachmann products.  Model Power issued four different type steam locomotives with metal boilers prior to B-mann's issuing the USRA heavy 4-8-2.  The four MPs and the B-mann that is the subject of this topic all have a metal boiler with the motor and gearshaft built into the locomotive shell.  This type of construction makes disassembly of the locomotive more complicated.  As you- have Spookshow's website marked, you might compare what Mark has to say about the four MPs and the USRA heavy 4-8-2.  The four MPs are:  USRA light 4-6-2, USRA light 2-8-2, a 2-6-0 and a 4-4-0.

On the older B-mann Spectrum power, as on most N scale steam locomotives, the shell is a separate piece that you can remove from the power chassis.  If you remove the shell, you will be left with the frame, drivers and idlers (if any of the latter), cylinders and rods and the electric motor.  Thus, you can run the thing without its shell.  This is particullarly useful if you want to make repairs  or observe running characteristics.  It even allows you to continue with break in if you are repainting or re-lettering. 

The above is not possible with the B-mann USRA heavy 4-8-2, nor is it with the MP.

gatrhumpy

Yeah I know. I have two Model Power Pacifics. I love them.