News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

reassembly after repair

Started by Dgun, January 22, 2014, 08:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dgun

I recently dug out my n scale trains. They haven't been run in maybe 30 years. The F9 diesel refused to operate. Took it apart and determined that the motor was dead. Had another F9 that the kids had broken but the motor tested good. Swapped the good motor into the F9 I was working on. Now I can't seem to find the trick to reassembly. The propeller shafts keep falling out as I bring the side pieces together. Can anyone provide me with the process to follow to get the engine running again?

Thanks.

Dgun (Dave)

Curtishelde

Hi there i recently took mine apart to put on couplers and what i did was take the both screws off on the front and end so it would open like a book then the small one on top for the electricity then lay it on its side put the good motor it then the wheels with the shafts correctly then ever so gently take the other piece and lay it on top and move it around so it falls in place then hold each sides tightly so they dont fall then screw them in Its kind of tricky to put the screws it but it will work just have to get them through the second hole and dont tighten them to tight i just stripped mine and then test it out on your track.

Dgun

Curtishelde,

Thanks for the reply. My F9 underbody must be different from yours. Mine has two plates like a sandwhich. When opened by freeing two screws, one at either end, you are looking at the two trucks, the propeller shafts, and the motor. I can get everything lined up until I have to put the two plates together. This takes a bit of moving them around. Movement causes the propeller shafts to fall out.

bobwrgt

No trick. Try, try and try again. Takes a lot of patients. You can put a small amount of grease on the end of the shaft.

Dgun

bobwrgt,

Thanks for the reply. I'll give the grease a try. Wonder how the manufacturers did it.

Dgun (Dave)