Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

modifying the 3 truck Shay.

Started by Ozzie, September 27, 2007, 11:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozzie

hi Folks I need help.
I have 2 Bachmann 3 truck shays.
They are great runners but my circumstances have changed.
I need smaller locos.
has anybody converted these to two truck ?
I have looked at them and reckon it can be done but it will mean carving up the back of the loco to fit a rear buffer beam.
Before I do irrepairable damage,
if anyone has done this can they please advise:

1. how does the loss of the rear pickup effect performance and
2. Where would I be able to fit a decoder (if possible sound)
regards,
Ozzie

LooseClu

Hi Ozzie,
I've been thinking about a similar conversion and came across the Shay Fixer
www.shayfixer.com and his alternative solution to install sound decoders into brass 2-truck Shays.  You'll have to look around his site to locate photos of  his approach (in his decoder installation section).  At first I thought this was a poor idea but the longer I looked at it the more positives I realized.  First off this could be wired for a sound only decoder and connected easily to my motor/lights decoders I already have in my small roster of geared steamers.  A few of these would take care of all the locos I have running at any one time (usually two are about all I can handle).  The cost of a pair of sound only decoders seems a better buy than one full option Tsunami.  This would also add yet another task to my underworked rail crew- now they would have to switch the water/fire car to which ever loco was heading into the woods next.  Owners of the RR also approved the idea of having the coal burners carry extra water as well- it gets them better rates on their fire insurance.  In the case of the 3 to 2 truck Spectrum conversion this would keep the current small tender (looks better) and avoid the frame surgery.  Either way it is quite reassuring to know replacement parts are available should something go very wrong. 
Good luck,
Roy              http://s1014.photobucket.com/home/looseclu/index