News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann DCC Decoder Question

Started by gatrhumpy, January 27, 2014, 10:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrhumpy

I have an old Bachmann/Lenz DCC decoder that I took out of my 4-8-2 Heavy Mountain. However, I want to reinstall it without paying money for another decoder. When looking at the top of the black heat wrap, there is some writing on it. If I untangle all of the wires, so that each one comes straight out of the decoder, which wires are which? In other words, which wires go to motor, pickup, lights, etc. when looking at the decoder from the top?

gatrhumpy

Quote from: James in FL on January 27, 2014, 11:24:22 AM
Here's a good place to start.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/82511.pdf

http://www.lenzusa.com/1newsite1/Manuals.html

Thanks, but those manuals do nothing. I have the first manual. I don't think you understand what I'm asking. I'm not asking for decoder board installation solder points, I'm asking which wires coming from the DECODER are which, since they are not color-coded.

Brewman

Every decoder I have seen has color coded wires. Since it seems the one you have does not, I would suggest carefully removing the heat shrink and see if the board has markings where the wires are attached. It may only be a number that would match the number position on the board you are soldering to. If there are no markings, I am not sure how the part could have been built in the first place. If this is successful, I would put heat shrink or electrical tape around the board when you are done.

Barry

gatrhumpy

I might do that.

This is a stock Bachmann decoder that comes with all DCC-equipped steam locomotives. It's not marked per NMRA standards.

richg

My Bachmann decoders had NMRA colour coded decoders. Now the Bachmann "locos" do not have NMRA colours for the wires.

Rich

seadowns

Hi!

I've had this problem some years ago. I unsoldered a Bachmann decoder in order to replae it wirh a better one. My mistake was soldering at first and omited to mark each wire. All the 7 wires are black instead of colour coded.
I then looked into another Bachmann loco with decoder in the tender and all wiring was black either.
I then followed every track on the pcb and so I found out which wire belongs to which function.
This sounds hard but it turned out much easier than expected if you are experienced in the matter of decoderizing.

Best regrads
Mathi