News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Switch Green Wire Extensions

Started by sevzas, February 02, 2014, 03:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevzas

I'm hoping to make some 3 foot sections of the e-z track switch wire extensions 44598 for use by my son who has to put his trains away on a regular basis.  Each time he builds his trains, the switches wind up in different places so we need to keep things flexible.

Does anyone know if the connectors used in these extensions are available in some catalog?  Are they compatible with any standard?

Doneldon

sev-

I've never come across these connectors in a catalog myself. I think they are proprietary for the B'mann's turnouts.

It's easy to splice in some wire to make the control wires longer. Constructing a whole new cable is something else. It is possible to modify the connections under the turnout but that option is foreclosed once the trackwork is permanently installed. You're talking about a system which goes up and down, however, so all you really need is sufficient length.

I have to caution you about putting layouts up and away. The track connectors get loose, leading to derailments and unreliability. It can be difficult to keep the track together if you don't have the kind with attached roadbed. And the handling can greatly accelerate wear and tear on the equipment. This is an especially bad idea if you are running on the floor because all kinds of dirt, lint and gritty bits get up into the trains. Little metal fragments are attracted by the magnets in the motors. This means you have to do some regular inspection and cleaning of the trains. Physically larger trains like "O" scale or the so-called "large" scale survive the hazards and handling much better that trains as small as HO.
                                                                                                                                                                                -- D