News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Maryland & Pennsylvania Flat turned coach

Started by BaltoOhioRRfan, February 02, 2014, 08:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaltoOhioRRfan

Bought a open air excursion coach by bachmann and converted it to look like a flat converted into a coach. Came out well even though the real M&PA had open sides, not enclosed like i did mine, but I don't have the ability to do such small details. Below is photos of the completed car , you can also see a RPO(Model power) painted by me and a coach(con-cor) painted by me, caboose and engine were painted by bachmann,

not sure if i painted it in the correct colors, but it works for me and all photos are black and white and the bottom(flat car) looks different from the top(ad on for passenger saftey)

Before and After, After is on the right, the second one will become a B&O MOW car based on drawings inside a book i have of B&O Non Revenue equipment. gonna do the flat part black, sides and posts red, roof red.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Doneldon

Balto-

Nice work. I find your cars very convincing, especially the double-sided bench running north and south the length of the cars. You know, just about every one of these made is unique; excursion cars were mostly whatever rebuild could be accomplished most cheaply. That makes it hard to say that any given model is unprototypical. I've seen modified flats, unmodified gons and chopped passenger cars rigged for the tourist trade and they all get the job done just fine.

If you want to do another flat conversion, put posts in the stake pockets and then use strip wood to sheathe the sides. Leave the bottom board off to facilitate sweeping out. Also, leave gaps at both ends so passengers can walk through the train (or not if you don't want them moving around while the train is in motion), and have an opening to each side (perhaps protected with a chain or swinging gate for safety) so passengers can board and dismount.
                                                                                                                                                                                -- D