News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Track

Started by redmaxx, March 03, 2014, 10:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redmaxx

I have some Bachmann curves number 7501 (pre ez track), how can I find out the specifications for them?

Joe Satnik

Do you have at least 4 of them?
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

redmaxx

No, I canabalized one of them in the 1980s when I made my original layout. My step moster threw out my layout and all my buildings while I was in the US Army. Luckily I had my rolling stock put away.

Joe Satnik

Dear Maxx,

By looking at internet images I'm assuming that it is a 90 degree curve (= 4 curves per complete circle).

Stretch a kite string along the track center side of the shorter rail. 

Mark the string at the 2 ends of the curve with a pen or pencil.

Stretch the kite string along a ruler to measure the length between the marks. 

Let us know that length.

We'll plug it in to the appropriate equations and let you know what the radius is.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

redmaxx

You are right. I don't know what I was thinking. They are 90 degree curves. Too much on my mind right now I guess. Thanks.

Joe Satnik

In some photos the curves looked "relaxed", or straightened to less than 90 degrees. 

You would simply gently and evenly bend them back to 90 degrees. 

That would be much simpler to do if you had 4 complete sections to form a complete circle.

Another source of string for rail length measurement would be dental floss. 

You could also use small diameter wire, such as the wire found inside CAT 5 cable.

It might also be easier to stretch along the outside of the longer rail for a measurement. 

Just let us know which rail you are measuring.

Do not include the length of the rail joiner.

Thanks. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik