News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

not enough power

Started by donald geiser, February 06, 2014, 04:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donald geiser

I  just set up a layout with a hill and my KS-2 diesel all wheel drive will only pull 4 cars
 up hill. so I thought I would get another SD40-2  KCS diesel and put them together
and I could pull 6 or 7 cars up the hill. The two diesels pull power pack down and they
creep along, and the two units come apart at coupler sometimes. What do I need to do
to get more power from power pack and get more speed. There are 2 terminal tracks
in layout ( 8 ft X 4 ft ) How can I keep couplers from coming apart ? Is there a way to
lock them together ? I checked grade and it is 86" long and lifts 2 7/8". The wheels do
not slip on hill. The 2 diesels run within 2" of each other when run by themselves. The
power pack is 16 volt 1000ma. I think 2 diesel is to much for it . Found missing spring
on coupler.
                                                   Thanks
                                               Donald Geisers

richg

Right now, it sounds like the two locos are not matched very well. Operate both with no cars and see how they compare when not coupled. Pulling couplers apart sound like not matched. One must be running faster than the other or if both might be matched normally, one is dragging for some reason.

Rich

JerryB

donald:

How steep is the track going up your "hill?"

RR grades are measured in percentage, defined as rise divided by run. If you measure the length of the track that is actually on the grade, then measure the difference in height, we can calculate the grade. As an example, 50" of track with a rise of 1" produces a grade of 2%.

Prototype RR grades for single locomotives pulling short trains are typically limited to something less than 3 percent. Model railroad grades tend to be slightly steeper, but anything over 4% is considered very steep.

Do the measurements as above, and post back. That way we can help you determine what might be a solution.

BTW, richg's suggestion about checking the speed match between engines will also be very helpful in determining your problem and possible solutions.

It also sounds like you are exceeding the capability of your power supply when trying to run two engines. If this is a 'starter set' supply, you will find that it is pretty limited in output. A larger (more powerful) supply will give you the ability to run more than one engine, but will not help much if the grade is too steep.

Hope some of this helps.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

richg

Define, pull pack down? How do you know that?

I the loco drivers are spinning and the train is not moving, too steep a grade. More power will not help.

Rich

jbrock27

All excellent suggestions and points.

Don, what brand and model power pack are you using?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Jim-

I run DCC but I have an MRC Tech III Model 9500 which I use on my test track unless I need DCC.   

-- D

jbrock27

Hi Doc!  Thank you.  You know how much I think of MRC packs.

I was posing that question to Don Geiser.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

as a more practical way of measuring how steep a grade is, 1/4" rise per track section is about 3%, 4% is about 3/8" per track section.

about the coupler problem, do they come apart mainly at the top and bottom of the hill? if so, you need to checque two things. first, are the coupler heights even on level track? if not, adjust the coupler heights so that they are. second, you may want to make the transitions between the level track and the grade. at the bottom of the hill, you can slide shims of index card under the track joint where the transition is, until the problem goes away. at the top of the grade, you can do the same thing but do it to the first track joint on the level, and raise it with the shims.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA