News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 truck climax barely working

Started by gearhead1, February 17, 2014, 09:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gearhead1

Hi,

Loco runs for less than a foot and then stops, main gear not moving, but sound chuffing continues.

I took the truck covers off and and sprayed some contact cleaner into them, cleaned the track, but this behavior seems to be consistent.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
>:(

Ken Huck

I have a DC layout.  I have an MRC 220 Tech 4 transformer and the thing won't budge until I apply over 50%
power.  I think because I'm running a DC layout with a DCC engine has a lot to do with it.  I usually let it sit
a while 'pinging', building up steam first.  Then increase power to get it moving.  Usually it'll huff and chug a few
times before it starts to move.

HTH
Ken

Doneldon

Gearhead-

I don't think pickups or dirty track are your problem because your sound continues to work. I'd look for binding in the drive train (no pun intended). Since your loco follows a pattern of going about a foot and stopping, I doubt an intermittent electrical problem like a loose wire; the problem would be more random if that were the case.

Ken-

Your operation may be normal. It takes a few volts to start a DCC loco on DC because the sound system jumps in there first. I'm not so sure that you need to "let it build up steam," however. I would expect it to start right out if you just continue to increase your throttles. Also, you might find that your DC operation is a little better if you remove the decoder and replace it with the jumper that came in the package. Of course, that will remove the sound so I can see that you might be unwilling to make that sacrifice for a little better running. I wouldn't do it myself.
                                                                                                                                                                                 -- D

richg

S.O.P. Standard Operating Procedure. The power pack puts out 0 to 12 volts. The decoder requires at least 5 volts just to wake up and maybe a couple volts more to begin moving.
The microprocessor controls everything and does not start operating until it gets the proper operating voltage.
With a dual mode decoder equipped loco, DC voltage does not go directly to the motor like a DC only loco. The motor gets positive pulses or negative pulses via electronics from the microprocessor.

Rich

Grandpagator

I have the same problem with DCC.  The steam cylinders move, and the engine will move just a bit and then stops.  The cylinders are still moving up and down, but the engine does not move. It is getting plenty of power, I think it might be something in the gears, I really don't know.  Hope someone can help you.  I will be watching with interest.
Grandpagator