News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question for Motor Leads on 2-8-0

Started by Irbricksceo, February 12, 2014, 12:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

Hello, I am in the process if repairing my 2-8-0 that lost it's plug and I have a question:

THe part i recieved has two differences, one, the bulb is different but that is not an issue, but number 2: the part has colored wires, which would be great, except the model's wires were black so my question is:

Which of the two motor wires, red and orange, go to which motor lead?

Modeling NYC in N

richg

Normally orange and gray are the NMRA colours. Orange would be positive lead.
Simple solution, connect them and try it out. Reverse if it runs in the wrong direction. That should be very easy to do on the bench. I have done it a few times.

Rich

Irbricksceo

I would rather not have to plug the thing in and out more that i have to but if that is the only way, well, I'll be careful. Thanks. I assume the top lead is positive so I will try that first
Modeling NYC in N

richg

Some motor leads have a small plus sign for the positive lead. Some a red dot. Usually some kind of identifier. Sometimes the positive lead is on top.
Connect your multimeter to the leads and power up the tender on a track with the DCC controller. Look for positive voltage in forward.
Take a 9 volt battery and two pieces of wire and touch the motor leads. See which connection sends the drivers in the forward direction. A little bit of troubleshooting.

Rich

Irbricksceo

Thanks for the help, The thing works fine! The headlight doesnt seem to turn on but it was so dim in the first place that I don't really care The locomotive is noisier than I recall but that may be because It has been Out of service for over a month and My main other Loco is my beautifully running SY!
Modeling NYC in N

richg

Quote from: Irbricksceo on February 12, 2014, 02:03:09 PM
Thanks for the help, The thing works fine! The headlight doesnt seem to turn on but it was so dim in the first place that I don't really care The locomotive is noisier than I recall but that may be because It has been Out of service for over a month and My main other Loco is my beautifully running SY!

I have heard of many complaints about dim lights in Bachmann locos, whether they had light bulbs or LED's.
I know the resistor for LED's is quite higher than 1k a normal resistance for LED's. I have measure some.
Light bulbs, no idea on what the resistance is. If you get adventurous, open the tender and check the PC board. The resistor will be marked. I have read a few times that if you use a light bulb, put a 22 ohm resistor in series with one lead for longer bulb life. I suspect Bachmann uses a lot more resistance for real long bulb life.

Rich

rogertra

None of the lights on my DCC Bachmann work, at least they don't appear to work.

Not really that important as it's always daylight and in steam days, at least until very late in steam days, steam locos ran with the headlight "Off" anyway.

Headlight "On" rule only came into effect in late steam days.  Not sure when the headlight "On" rule came into effect for diesels.

richg

Quote from: rogertra on February 12, 2014, 02:43:45 PM
None of the lights on my DCC Bachmann work, at least they don't appear to work.

Not really that important as it's always daylight and in steam days, at least until very late in steam days, steam locos ran with the headlight "Off" anyway.

Headlight "On" rule only came into effect in late steam days.  Not sure when the headlight "On" rule came into effect for diesels.

That has always been my thoughts but many modellers have their own ideas on reality. I have modelled early steam. 1900 or so.

Rich