News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC power to layout

Started by Spencer, February 14, 2014, 05:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

If I am not mistaken, it should be easy to follow the wire (if one can be identified from the other) all the way from the plug at the re-railer,  to where it hooks into the controller.  Just stay consistent, ie: right contact on rerailer with right contact on controller.  If all someone is looking to do is tap from one wire to connect to a different section of track, you just need to have consistency with how you are doing it.  

U.S.A. is winning 5-0 over Slovakia.  (Slovenia, not Slovakia-my bad.  The Slovenians upset the Slovakians the other day)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

I know you are NOT picking on me  :D

I agree with Roger's and your point about not trusting joiners-I have come to learn this as well.

Brian, I would also say you were a little excessive as well, but all that matters is that it works for you and you felt the effort paid off.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

On my still under construction 10 x 30 foot GER I use DCC and have run a pair of 18 AWG feeders around the whole layout.  Red always connects to the Rear  rail and Yellow to the front rail.  I chose red for that reason, the
yellow is just what I picked up.

So as to limit the amount of crawling under the layout time, every 24" or so I drop 18 AWG "pig tails" that are around 12" long and they just hang down ready for attaching the track feeders to.  Not all of these pig tails get used but they are there "in case".  I attach the pig tails using Insulation Displacement Connectors (IDCs)or what model railroaders have come to call "Suitcase Connectors", although you will get a blank stare from the clerk at the electrical store if you use that term.

I then attach my 18 AWG feeders to the pig tails using wire nuts.  The feeders are also colour coded red and yellow.

One thing I should clarify is my "feeders to every single section of flex track be it 36 inches long or three inches long" comment.  My normal practice is to solder rail joiners on shorter lengths of rail but none the less, if I have a situation where I do have unsoldered rail joiners on a short length of track, it get feeders attached.

Doneldon

Jerry-

Like you, I think the term/rerail is a better connection to the track, but not so much than I'd pay the exorbitant cost of the factory job. I mostly use either rail joiners or soldered feeders. As for the number of feeders, you always have too many until one fails.
                                                                                                                                                                                  -- D

Jerrys HO

Don,

I agree about the cost of the rerailer  and I did not bring up cost as show33 stated he already had them, so why not put them to use.
I two terminal rerailers because I have them and the rest are like you said, My own feeders that I make up myself.
A pack of rail joiners and a roll of wire (scrap laying around) you can afford to overkill the layout with feeders ;).

Jerry