N Scale Lighted Passenger Car wheels or truck assemblies.

Started by rhino1000, February 16, 2014, 07:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhino1000

Hi all!
(I've done a bit of a search on the forums and couldn't see any topics relating to this issue, but if it's already on here my apologies!)

So firstly I'm a noob to the forums here and to the world of model railroading, so I apologize if any of my terminology is wrong and secondly....HELP!

I am running an N-Scale EZ track set-up (which started off as an Empire Builder set) which was all cool until I caught the bug and decided to get more track and get more adventurous. After purchasing more track and then a second hand Bachmann Great Northern passenger set (from about 1997 I believe); I decided to add some turn-outs........and this is where the nightmare begins.

After buying a left and right turnout switch to mix things up a bit, the Great Northern passenger cars derail every time they pass through the turnout. After hours and hours of modification to the switches (which BTW Bachmann; needed the rails filed and the frog modified a LOT) I've finally come to the conclusion that the issue is the passenger car wheels being the wrong gauge - some of them are fine and will pass through the turns fine but a few of them are too narrow and catch on the turning track when the switch is set to go straight ahead and I end up with the back or front end of passenger cars veering off onto the other track >:(

SO, the question is - can I buy replacement, correct gauge wheels that are suitable for a lit passenger car?
I've found these Graham Farish ones on ebay:  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331093187890?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

will they work/fit? They need to be the right gauge to fit snugly in the current N Scale EZ Track and they need to be suitable to correctly light the interior of the passenger cars.

Or is it possible to modify the existing wheel sets in any way  ??? eg. pull the wheels further apart -I had a little go at this, but I don't think they can be moved.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers!

brokemoto

You can. actually, re-gauge the wheels.  I usually do it with two pair of needlenose pliers.  I place them inside the wheels, and push with one pair on the inside of one wheel.

If that does not work, Fox Valley does sell metal wheelsets, but I do not know much about their conductivity.  I do not know anything about the Graham-Farrish.  B-mann's latest freight cars also have metal wheelsets, but, again, I do not know much about their conductivity.  The next time I go upstairs, if I can remember, I will check and post something.

If the lights are not a big deal, you can replace the B-mann trucks with Micro-Trains four wheel passenger trucks.  You will need to make sure that your locomotives have compatible couplers.