News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

30 degree crossing problem

Started by jcs44, February 10, 2014, 11:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Thank you again Jerry, I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question.  Have a great night brother!
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe Satnik

Greetings.

Thought this might be useful: 

The small fitters make life so much easier.  (Thanks, HLR.)

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jcs44

For Joe Satnik ( or is it "Doc") - Thanks for the layout idea!  That one is a little better than mine and still has room for a couple of future sidings, etc.

John

Joe Satnik

Hey, John.

Your welcome.

There are a number of things that can be done with the layout and still maintain good geometry.

For example, if you didn't want it to be perfectly symmetrical, you could move

one of the right side 3" fitter straights to the left side of the layout.

That would free up a little more space for sidings between the loops on the left side.

Crank up AnyRail and see what you can come up with. 

For instance, replace the curve between the number "4.5" and the word "AnyRail"

with a Left Remote Switch (a.k.a. "Turnout"). 

You would then have to eliminate the 1.5" straight because of the 1.5" offset of the turnout.

(The curved divergent route of the turnout is moved up the straight or 'offset' by 1.5")

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik     

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jbrock27

jc, Doc = Doneldon

Joe = Track Professor, with a Concentration in S Curveology
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

John-

An additional, if seemingly trivial thing you can do with your layout is avoid having tracks running parallel to the edges. You'd
be amazed how much shifting them just five or ten percent improves the sense of reality.
                                                                                                                                      -- D

jcs44

Problem solved!!!!  Thanks to you folks.  It turns that the front coupler on the engine had a lot of up and down play and the curved wire that hangs down (fake air line?) was catching on the crossing's wheel guides and pulling the engine off track.  I tightened the coupler screw a little and, behold, problem solved instantly.  And many thanks for the layout Joe.

JCS44  ;D

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On