News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My turnout won't work

Started by Sabadu, February 12, 2014, 07:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabadu

I have the Dynamis starter set and am having a problem with the turnout. When I try to back the train to the siding it derails every time. The rail that comes into play when you switch the turnout away from the main track is very rough where the two rails in the frog meet.

Is this fixable by a beginner or do I need to return the turnout?

Thanks

Doneldon

Sabadu-

Before you do anything else, please check two things. First, look carefully to see if there is anything (for example, the coupler operating wire hanging below the coupler) catching on the rails or other turnout parts. Second, look at your rolling stock, specifically at the trucks and couplers. Cars with what are called "Talgo" trucks are jut about impossible to consistently back through turnouts or even mild curves. Talgo trucks have a beam attached with a coupler mounted on the end. The fact that you mentioned your problems occur when backing make me suspicious that Talgos are your problem, not the turnout.

If you don't have Talgos and nothing under your cars is fouling the turnout parts, please tell us a little more about the "rough" spot you mentioned. Exactly where is it located? Is it on the top of the rail, the inside of the rail or just where? Is the roughness due to a defect in the rail material or does it look like there is something on the rail? Also, do all of your cars derail at this point or only some of them?

I'm looking forward to hear what you discovered from these examinations.
                                                                                                                  -- D

Sabadu

All cars derail at the rough spot.  I also reversed the loco and tender so that it would go forward.  It derailed at the same point; the rough spot is where the short rail, that moves when you throw the switch, meets the fixed segment of rail on the turnout.  If you run your finger over the area it is catches on the the fixed segment which is slightly higher than the shorter moving piece.

I hope I have explained it adequately; I'm still learning the lingo :)

The rolling stock is all new Bachmann Silver series.

Thanks

jbrock27

Do you have the ability to post a picture of said area?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Sabadu-

When you say, "the rough spot is where the short rail, that moves when you throw the switch, meets the fixed segment of rail on the turnout," do you men the inside surface of the non-moving rail is rough or the top of the rail at the point where the point contacts the rail is rough? Also, are you saying that the top of the point (the end of the moving rail) is higher than the top of the stock (fixed) rail? Last, does the train derail when it goes straight through the turnout from the end which cannot be switched (frog end), when it goes straight through the turnout when it approaches from the end which can be switched (point end), or when you switch the line from straight to the diverging route (also point end)?
                                                                                                                                                                              -- D

Sabadu

Perhaps "rough" is a poor way of describing it.  Each rail is smooth, but the moving short segment is a little lower than the fixed section.  I will try to take some pictures over the weekend.  Right now I have dig myself out the snow (I'm in Rockland County, NY) and spend some time on my day job :)

Thanks

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

the Bach-man

Hi, guys!
I've lived in Suffern for fifty years, and there has been occasional suffering; happily, not too much. Rode the Erie as a kid, then EL, and now NJT.
And we do have a lot of snow right now!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

jbrock27

How about it Mr. B?  Spring can't come soon enough!
Keep Calm and Carry On

the Bach-man