News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hi

Started by Rollin Mayham, March 16, 2014, 01:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollin Mayham

I am a little knew to this and I have a question would Bachmann Freight trucks work for my New Bright Santa's Village Express. The reason why I still have this without trucks is sentimental value. I just want to upgrade it. So please would it work.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Rollin,

Welcome to the site!

You ask a difficult question!  Since there is not much info available on New Bright trucks, you may have to experiment.  Buy a set of the Bachmann freight trucks and see what happens.  When you do let us know how it worked out, so others may be helped.   

If you have at least one New Bright truck  post a photo showing the truck mounting hole and the mount pin on the car.  measure the width of the hole on the truck and the depth of the pin on the car.  If you do that I will check a Bachmann Truck and see if it is close. 

I will do my best to help.

Loco Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Rollin Mayham

Thank you Loco Bill I will do my best to get you the photo. I honestly just can't believe that this hasn't been done before.

armorsmith

Rollin - Welcome aboard!
The answer to your question is both yes and no.  The no part is that they will not simply mount to the existing New Bright mounting point. The New Bright cars are a trifle small and the pivot point is too close to the end of the car, and the New Bright trucks are shorter in length and have smaller wheels than the Bachmann trucks. I know, I have looked at doing this for a bash project.
The yes answer is that with a little bit of hacking and slashing the car can be modified to mount the Bachmann trucks.  However this will raise the height of the coupler which may present an issue coupling to your other cars.
You indicated above that there was some degree of sentimental value to the car(s).  If this is the case, you might be better to purchase some New Bright cars from eBay and refresh your cars with parts from the donor cars purchased on eBay.
I hope this has answered your question adequately.  Happy Railroading!
Bob C.

Rollin Mayham

You see I wouldn't mind fixing the cars with Bachmann trucks seeing as I also said I wanted to upgrade it I upgraded it with an RC chip. To be completely honest the tender and the passenger car lost both trucks. My Caboose met an unfortunate accident during the Christmas of 2012 and I was only able to salvage the light system and am going to make a custom car to replace the Caboose my only issue that I believe I will face is connecting the tender to the locomotive after the upgrades are made. I hate to say it but I don't trust Ebay and have had problems in the past and have never ordered from Ebay since. Lastly the trucks that Jay showed me to look at are the wrong ones I have an older version of the New Bright train set and has had it since I was five years old.