News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

finding parts for vintage trains

Started by tracymark, February 17, 2014, 07:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tracymark

I recently purchased a bachmann GE U36B DIESEL ENGINE AND NEED PARTS when i search on this site and plug in the model number it says it can' t be found where do Ineed to look for parts. I' mnot even sure how old this engine is

richg

Quote from: tracymark on February 17, 2014, 07:37:37 PM
I recently purchased a bachmann GE U36B DIESEL ENGINE AND NEED PARTS when i search on this site and plug in the model number it says it can' t be found where do Ineed to look for parts. I' mnot even sure how old this engine is

You won't find parts here. Looks quite old.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php?action=printpage;topic=11848.0

Rich

rogertra

Honest answer?

Poor model.

Hardly to scale.

Not worth repairing.

Sorry but that's how it is.

richg

If you are really determined, go look at ebay I just did. They are there. The pancake motor was rather poor. You can find those there also.

Rich

jward

you could just use a b23-7 chassis under the u36b body. the length should be the same, and you;ll have a much better running locomotive.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

traceymark-

See my response to Owlbert's post titled "HO engine."

-- D

electrical whiz kid

Traceymark;
I go with Roger's opinion.  Put it aside, and find a good quality one to begin with.   The last thing you want to do is have to take a locomotive you purchased right off the hop, and re-build it.  Been there, done that.  Hard-and in my case, expensive-lesson learned.

Rich C.

Jeff A

Hard to tell the "vintage" without more information. But if it is marked "Bachmann Hong Kong" or "Bachmann China" on the bottom, it most likely uses what a previous reply mentioned as the "pancake" motor. If so, parts are available on the Bachmann site.

Go to:
Parts, Service, & Information
Order Parts
HO Parts
Universal HO Parts

A dummy truck is available: Dummy Truck (Older 4 Wheel Drive Diesels) (HO), Model: H112X-2105
A truck/motor assembly (pancake motor) is  available: Motor & Truck Assy (HO Older 4 Wheel Drive Diesels)(Universal) Model: H112X-2106
The lamp bulb is also available: Old Style Light Bulb (N & HO Scale), Model: PN-9884

The truck/motor assembly (@ $10.00) would take care of a motor or drive gear issue (and the assembly includes new traction tires) and the dummy truck (@ $6.50) on your locomotive may not need replacement. I just rebuilt two of these (Santa Fe War Bonnet shells) and they now run like new. Granted, as suggested in other replies, new locomotives feature significantly better "engineering" with much improved motors and smoother performance, but there is also a certain satisfaction that can be achieved with the successful rebuild of a "vintage" piece of equipment.

Good luck.