News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tank Cars

Started by mudhen, February 20, 2014, 07:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudhen

I my reading of tank cars pulled by the D&RGW, they where leasted, unframed UTLX cars with many having the Gramps name in big, bold, white letters on the sides. This was done for Lafayette Hughes grand children who call him (Gramps).
But my question to anyone who knows, did the oil producer ever use frames tank car, like the LGB tank cars and the Bachmann regular sized ones paint up like the unframed ones. Not the spectrum ones.
If yes, where can I see a picture of these tanker cars.
I haven't see any pictures of framed one, but that doesn't mean they didn't have or use them.
Anyone have the answer for me and thanks in advance.

armorsmith

Mudhen,

I don't have the answer to that question, but I am sure if you go to the Narrow Gauge Discussion Forums someone there will know the answer.  For all things D&RGW, and other NG's as well, that is the place to go.

Bob C.

Ted Yarbrough

charon

Excellent site.  Thank you Ted.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Kevin Strong

Nice resource, Chuck. They say the oil companies did use tank cars placed on wood flat cars, but does not mention whether these were lettered "GRAMPS." That hasn't stopped the manufacturers from doing so, though. I've got some old Kalamazoo tank cars dating from the early 80s lettered "GRAMPS." I think that goes in the same category as the Santa Fe "Warbonnet" paint scheme--one of those iconic paint schemes that has to make its way onto a product whether prototypical or not.

Later,

K

Loco Bill Canelos

That resource is pretty  nice.  there was mention of a Texaco Refinery.   Were any of the cars lettered Texaco, or Standard Oil??

Quite a few years ago I seem to remember a tank car on the Georgetown Loop lettered for Standard Oil, but in later years it was gone. 

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

glennk28

Sloan's epic on freight cars has most of the answers--R. Grandt's pictorials are also good.  gj

glennk28

Texaco (TCX, CYCX-- and Conoco  CONX) operated tank cars for refined products.