DCC sound decoder kit for GP35 (Bachmann)

Started by EARLYTRAINS, February 17, 2014, 09:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EARLYTRAINS

I would like to add sound to my DCC GP35 what make kit or type would be adaptable?

richg

You did not say which scale but I am assuming HO scale.
It also comes in N scale but the decoder will not fit it. You need an N scale decoder.
I would not call it a kit but the SoundTraxx site has a decoder, speaker suggestion. Check their site. You can see what the decoder looks like. It comes with a stay alive capacitor you have to find room for as well as place for the speaker.
Some Bachmann diesels have an opening in the fuel tank but the diagram for this loco does not show one.
It will not be plug and play. Requires work by you.

Rich

EARLYTRAINS

Yes it is ho and I am aware it will require modification by me, what I am unsure of is will it require the present decoder to be replaced or does the sound decoder have everything integral. Meaning does the sound system physically replace the present dcc decoder?
Thanks for the reply.

Doneldon

EARLY-

You can replace your existing motion decoder with a decoder which has both motion and sound or you can purchase an add on sound decoder. Both, of course, will require than you install a speaker. That's usually a bigger challenge than the decoder because finding a suitable location can be tough. An add-on will be a little cheaper; just program it to the same number as you use for the motion decoder. A full replacement will look a little neater to those folks who open up your locomotive to view the innards. In other words, there's no reason to replace the whole magilla unless you will be improving the control compared to the factory decoder. Then a whole new unit can make sense.
                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

bapguy

Use the search button to look up sound install by bapguy. Scroll down to see the thread of my GP30 sound install. I modified the frame so I could use 2 keep alive caps. I took the frame apart to remove the motor and trucks, put the frame together and used my motor tool and cut off disc to make a space for the caps. I used a Soundtraxx decoder with a 1/3 speaker and enclosure.  Joe