News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Loco Version 6 ???

Started by Jim in MO, January 02, 2014, 11:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim in MO

I have a number of Big Haulers and received a #90083 Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey set for Christmas.  This Loco has a number of differences, most noticeably the pilot truck.  Has metal accents like my Annie.  What about on the inside, any other improvements?

veetwelve

Hi Jim,

From what I understand, if your 10-wheeler has the new pilot truck, it also has metal gears in the gearbox.  That should bode well as far as avoiding the "cracked nylon gear" syndrome... you might confirm the metal gears by looking in the lubrication port in the chassis between the drive wheels.

All the best,
Jay

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Jim in MO,

All the 90083 RBand B&B sets I have seen so far have the Big hauler 4-6-0 with plastic side rods which is version five.  If they have upgraded the pilot truck in the set, it has not yet been announced.

If the pilot truck swings in a slot under the frame it is a version 5, If it is attached on an arm to a screw near the front of the bottom plate and does not slide in a slot it will be version six.

Big Hauler 4-6-0's have plastic side rods.  So if the RB&B 4-6-0 has plastic side rods  it is definitely version 5 and not version six. If they have upgraded the pilot truck in your set we would love to see a picture so we can pass the word to others.

If this doesn't help clear it up for you, please be more specific about the differences in the pilot truck on the one you have(better yet post a pic) and I will try to run things down for you.

Where you at in MO!! I am in MO as well!!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jim in MO

I have tried multiple times to post a pic and have not been successful.  The loco definitely has the new version front truck and plastic side rails.  So I assume this means version 6?

Loco Bill Canelos

Jim,  To post a photo you will need to first put it on something like photobucket or a similar site then  paste the url into your post on this site.   You could also unscrew the bottom cover and see if it has the new brass gear.

While it sounds like you may have a new version 6 mechanism, we never assume any thing.  So far Bachmann has not announced any changes such as putting the new mechanism in set locomotives.   You could also unscrew the bottom cover and see if it has the new brass gear, if it does that would be a clincher.
They have upgraded the 4-6-0 in the past starting in 2000 putting the version 5 chassis mechanism in both the Big hauler line and the Anniversary loco so I would not be surprised. It will be interesting to see what they announce and or say in the next catalog!  Who knows you may have discovered the first ones!!!

It would certainly be a great move if they do.   Maybe you could try again with the pictures.   I am very interested in this, because I keep a historical database on Bachmann G Scale Locomotives and rolling stock.   Send me an email direct, and maybe we could get together.  I live in New Truxton Mo north of Warrenton MO.

Bill

Loco Bill Canelos

Jim,

The new catalog is out and no announcement about using the new chassis in sets.   Let me know where you are at.  Maybe we can get together and I could take pictures.

http://www.bachmanntrains.net/Catalogs/2014/2014_Bachmann.pdf

Bill