News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann DCC Loco

Started by trainmainbrian, March 01, 2014, 10:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainmainbrian

Hi everyone....

I was just wondering if anyone has this Loco...
Bachmann DCC equipped Loco UP # 2024   "GP-38 - 2 Second Generation with Turbo"     It's a Bachmann Sliver Series Loco

I put in a different DCC & Sound Decoder " Can't say brand Don't want to get in trouble by Yard Master "
& Fully Weathered it... & I got to Admit this Loco Runs very well & everyone that comes to visit my Railroad layout
likes the Loco & my 1 buddy who has a Layout of his Own Uses a Different Brand of Locos on his layout & even he said this Loco Runs Very Well for a Bachmann.... & I got to admit it's one of my Favorite Locos to run...

Does anyone Else have this Loco & uses it on there Layout..
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

Jerrys HO

TMB

I don't think it would hurt to mention which decoder you used as Bachmann does not sell them. A video of your loco running would be cool.

Jerry

jward

gp38-2s don't have a turbo. that would be for an sd40-2 or gp40.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainmainbrian

Ohh ok thanks for that it shure sounds like a turbo though lol
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

jward

if his loco has sound  then somebody installed the wrong sound file. see if there is a way to disable the turbo sound and it should sound like a real gp38.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainmainbrian

Quote from: jward on March 02, 2014, 07:13:51 PM
if his loco has sound  then somebody installed the wrong sound file. see if there is a way to disable the turbo sound and it should sound like a real gp38.

Good question jward.... I did in fact ask my Train guy who install's all of my DCC & Sound Decoders into all of my Loco's & he said it's the right Profile for my Loco... & said it's a accurate sound profile for my GP-38-2...... Maybe It just sounds like a Turbo "but really ant" when I give it throttle LOL.. It has a REALLY COOL WINDING UP SOUND to it when 1st Fired UP " I LOVE HOW THIS LOCO FIRE's UP LOL LOL....& Thanks for the Info & I did do a bit of research on the GP-38-2 it seems the only upgrades EMD did to the GP-38-2 was a bigger Power plant from a 12 CYL to a 16 CYL Engine....

The 1st GEN GP-38's EMD had them equipped with 12 CYL engines.. & the Railroads complained they lacked in mainline power & where mainly used in short run local delivery services.. Then EMD put out the GP-38-2.. Second Generation & it received 2 thumbs up from Railroad's across the Country with it's bigger power plant & NOW could be used for mainline service & the article I read said a lot of GP-38-2 are still in use TODAY witch...  UP..... still has in there fleet & uses this LOCO Today for there Short line delivery routes & some Yard Switching as well....

jward

Quote from: trainmainbrian on March 03, 2014, 08:55:43 AM

The 1st GEN GP-38's EMD had them equipped with 12 CYL engines.. & the Railroads complained they lacked in mainline power & where mainly used in short run local delivery services.. Then EMD put out the GP-38-2.. Second Generation & it received 2 thumbs up from Railroad's across the Country with it's bigger power plant & NOW could be used for mainline service & the article I read said a lot of GP-38-2 are still in use TODAY witch...  UP..... still has in there fleet & uses this LOCO Today for there Short line delivery routes & some Yard Switching as well....

that is not accurate at all. all gp38s had the same 16 cylinder engine. without turbo. a 16 cylinder engine with a turbo is a gp40.  the 12 cylinder engines were primarily used in switchers like the sw1500 and mp15. with turbo, they were used in gp39s and gp39-2s, which were slightly more powerful than a gp38. all of the above were considered second generation locomotives.

the primary differences between the gp38 and the gp38-2 were the use of an alternator instead of a dc generator and solid state circuitry in the dash 2s. the horsepower output remained the same.

wherever you are getting this info from, they don't know what they are talking about.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainmainbrian

Quote from: jward on March 04, 2014, 01:16:15 AM
Quote from: trainmainbrian on March 03, 2014, 08:55:43 AM

that is not accurate at all. all gp38s had the same 16 cylinder engine. without turbo. a 16 cylinder engine with a turbo is a gp40.  the 12 cylinder engines were primarily used in switchers like the sw1500 and mp15. with turbo, they were used in gp39s and gp39-2s, which were slightly more powerful than a gp38. all of the above were considered second generation locomotives.

JWARD.... THANK YOU very much for the accurate INFO... I STAND TOTALY CORRECTED & RETRACT MY PREVIOUS STATEMENT... I did a search on ASK.COM..... being an AVID Model Railroader I want to have accurate info & as well reply with accurate info as well.. Again THANK YOU...

the primary differences between the gp38 and the gp38-2 were the use of an alternator instead of a dc generator and solid state circuitry in the dash 2s. the horsepower output remained the same.

wherever you are getting this info from, they don't know what they are talking about.