News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New coupers will not stick together.

Started by bradawn62, March 05, 2014, 10:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradawn62

Hello all

I just got my N Scale out of the garage and have decided to make a layout with my grandson. My old locos and cars have a particular coupler. I purchased a new nscale bachmann set and the couplers are very different.  Problem is I cannot get them to connect to each other, nor my older cars and locos. What am I doing wrong. I am sure they should connect to each other, but not sure if they connect to the older stuff.

help

gatrhumpy

The new couplers are considered 'knuckle' type couplers. This is for obvious reasons. The old couplers are considered Rapido-type couplers. They will not couple together. You should either replace the couplers on the older cars and engines, or throw out the older Bachmann stuff. It's junk.

James in FL

Hi bradawn62,

Easiest and least costly solution would be to make a "transition" car where you would have a rapido coupler on one end of one car and a knuckle coupler on the other end.
Many folks try to standardize on one coupler type.
There are many options of knuckle type couplers from various manufacturers.
Most operating knuckle types play well together, some dummy types do not.

Have a look here for some more info, although a bit dated, a good read;

http://www.nscaledivision.com/information_on_couplers.htm

Good luck

bradawn62

Is there any trick to get the "new" style couplers to couple?  Straight track on teh rails , slide them together and, nothin'.  Am I doing something wrong?

gatrhumpy

Nothing other than lining them up and coupling them together. Just make sure their both knuckle-type couplers. They should couple together.