News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Opening a 2-8-2 for DCC

Started by Irbricksceo, March 05, 2014, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

Hello, as I am now seriously considering the switch to DCC, I have a question. I have two Locomotives that lack DCC, a 2-8-2 and an F40

the f40 I may just leave DC since I dont run it too often and DCC conversion of Diesels is tricky when there is not a lot of room but the SY 2-8-2 I really want, problem is, I can't figure out how to remove the tender shell (I don't know if it is DCC ready or not, if not I'll figure out something but if so, that makes it really simple.
Modeling NYC in N

richg

Are your locos, Bachmann products?
If the steamer is a Bachmann product, turn over the tender.There will be one or two screws under the front truck. Look at the loco diagram page.
Unplug the loco and tender, carefully. Some don't unplug and end up breaking a wire loose form a connector.

Rich

Hunt

If your Bachmann SY 2-8-2 tender is like the DCC on Board one; then shell is a snap fit, no screws.   

Click Here tender shell removal instructions at bottom of page.

Irbricksceo

Thanks a bunch, shell popped off no problem. I couldn't find the parts diagram unfortunately. I have confirmed that this one is DCC ready so I ordered an 8 pin and will drop it in when it comes. These models came with DCC during the later shipments to try and boost sales but this one is not the black box, rather the Chinese box with the american Locomotive.
Modeling NYC in N

richg

Quote from: Irbricksceo on March 05, 2014, 10:52:38 PM
Thanks a bunch, shell popped off no problem. I couldn't find the parts diagram unfortunately. I have confirmed that this one is DCC ready so I ordered an 8 pin and will drop it in when it comes. These models came with DCC during the later shipments to try and boost sales but this one is not the black box, rather the Chinese box with the american Locomotive.

Hunt gave you the diagram sheet.

Rich