News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Upgrade from DCC on board to DCC sound

Started by js7924, April 04, 2014, 09:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

js7924

Hi. My granddaughter and I have two engines a 2-8-0 Consolidation and a GP 30 Diesel that have the DCC onboard. What direction do we need to go in order try to convert both to the DCC sound. Is it possible to do? ???  Thanks js

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

The 2-8-0 should be relatively easy. If it is the newer standard line version it has a spot in the bottom of the tender for the speaker and you just remove the DCC decoder and put the sound decoder in it's place. A Soundtraxx TSU-1000 Medium steam decoder should do just fine, use a 1 inch round speaker from Soundtraxx as well and I would recommend getting a 9-pin JST to NMRA 8-pin wiring harness (also Soundtraxx) because using the 8-pin plug from the stock decoder is a pain to solder the wires from the soundtraxx decoder to. The GP-30 however is a different story. I myself have never tried making a diesel DCC sound, but again, I would recommend Soundtraxx. The website for Soundtraxx has recommendations for decoders and speakers as well as instructions for installation in certain locomotives. I would check out their website.

www.soundtraxx.com

Hunt

Click Here for how to install a TSU-1000 digital sound decoder into a HO Bachmann 2-8-0.

Don't have time to go into what will be involved to install sound in your Bachmann GP 30. It is not an install for a first timer. Maybe best you look for a diesel locomotive with sound already installed or someone to do the install for you.

jward

the gp30 has a split frame which takes up almost all the room inside the body. there is no way to add a speaker without completely disassembling this locomotive and removing parts of the frame halves. not an easy job.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bapguy