News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 DCC Loco

Started by dwbum, April 10, 2014, 08:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwbum

I upgraded my (Bachmann) 2-8-0 consolidatin DCC to sound (MRC). The loco and DCC work fairly well but ther is a electric pick up problem with the tender trucks. Are there recommendations on how to fix the problem?
Don

rogertra

Here's how to make better pickups for ALL Bachmann steam tenders.

This method picks up from all eight wheels rather than two on the front truck and two on the rear trucks, as they are currently designed by Bachmann.

http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

Cheers

Roger.

dwbum

Thank you Roger, but I think the problem is with the truck frame to the trander bolster and wire connedtion. I have tries to improve contact with Rail Zip but the improvement is temporary.
Don

trainmainbrian

Try adding a little more weight inside tender if you can.... The added weight might be enough to make better contact with the rail's....
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

jward

Quote from: trainmainbrian on April 11, 2014, 09:40:55 AM
Try adding a little more weight inside tender if you can.... The added weight might be enough to make better contact with the rail's....

the op has stated the problem is not contact with the rails but rather in the bolster.

try this page, scroll down to the dcc section and it shows how he added tender truck pickups to a Bachmann 0-6-0.
http://www.girr.org/girr/girr_ho/girr_ho.html#dcc
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Quote from: dwbum on April 10, 2014, 08:02:48 PM
I upgraded my (Bachmann) 2-8-0 consolidatin DCC to sound (MRC). The loco and DCC work fairly well but ther is a electric pick up problem with the tender trucks. Are there recommendations on how to fix the problem?
Don

Make sure the axle wipers are secure against the axle. I have heard of issues with those wipers. Also. on the correct side of the axle.
There is a washer inside with the pick-up wire attached to it. Make sure the nut is secure.
Both trucks pick-up on the opposite side. Harold's solution does help. I have used it.

Rich

dwbum

Thank you for all yur comments. When looking at the screw and nut securing the trucks to the tender frame, I discovered a wire to the front truck contact had cjome loose. I resoldered the wire, tichtened the screws, cleaned the wheels, wipers and axles and the loco appears to be running fine.
Thanks again - this fourum is really hel[pful.
Don

richg

Quote from: dwbum on April 12, 2014, 05:22:29 PM
Thank you for all your comments. When looking at the screw and nut securing the trucks to the tender frame, I discovered a wire to the front truck contact had come loose. I re soldered the wire, tightened the screws, cleaned the wheels, wipers and axles and the loco appears to be running fine.
Thanks again - this forum is really helpful
Don

Nice troubleshooting. Glad you came back with the solution. This might help someone in the future.
Store this discussion in Favourites. You can never tell when someone will have the same issue.

Rich