News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Curved bridge

Started by almudallal, April 20, 2014, 11:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

almudallal

I  have a Ho bachmann nikle track layout 18"
I need a bridge that would accommodate the track ( which includes the bed ) .I prefer not to cut the track
Cannot find anything online
Do I need to make it custome ?
Any thoughts

Thanks

jward

probably easiest way to make a bridge that will accommodate an 18r curve is to flip an atlas plate girder bridge upside down, so that the track runs on top of the girders instead of between them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

almudallal

Doneldon

almu-

Remember that, with a very few exceptions, prototype bridges are not curved. They are a series of straight bridges onto which the curved track is installed. This means that the distance from the rails to the sides of the bridge varies but many straight bridges are wide enough to accommodate some curves. Just check out what your LHS or favorite on-line seller has for sale.

What you need is a bridge which is wide enough that your trains won't contact any vertical parts. Using a bridge which has its strength below track level, like what Jeff Ward suggested, should do the trick or maybe you can check out the clearance by inspecting a potential bridge with a piece of curved track on it. Also, note that having the bridge support under track level means you need more distance between track levels if your line across the bridge will have rails or roads underneath. That's one reason why prototype railroads usually prefer to have their strength members at or above track level. It's easier and cheaper to build a wider bridge with necessary clearance than it is to build a bridge many feet higher to keep adequate clearance below.
                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

jonathan

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,24337.0.html

As Doneldon says, there are few samples of curved railroad bridges.  However, I searched for a long time and did manage to find a couple.

The link above is one of my threads which discusses how I combined a couple of samples and scratched up a credible, short-span, wooden, curved bridge.  My bridge is an amalgam of the couple samples I found.  The construction is pretty straight forward, albeit time-comsuming.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jonathan

almudallal

Great feed back from all
Thanks for the info
The link Johathan has is really nice .

Terry Toenges

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8175.0.html
Here's what I did when I wanted an EZ Track curve on a bridge.
Lay the EZ on the balsa and measure and cut two pieces of balsa the same size. Lay the EZ on one piece of balsa and cut on both sides of the EZ. Take the other piece of balsa lay the EZ on it.  Use the two side pieces from the cut one to butt up against the roadbed. That way the roadbed doesn't stick up so high. You can also slide the track in and out of the bridge by doing it this way.
I think those are Atlas sides that I used on it.
Feel like a Mogul.