News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gluing nikle track

Started by almudallal, April 19, 2014, 08:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

almudallal

What is the best agent recommended to glue Bachmann's nikle track to foam .
Is it safe to glue around the layouts

Thanks

Br 98.75

Pva(white Glue), some use liquid nails or silicone caulking.

almudallal

Thank you
Do u think carpenter glue would be good as well

Br 98.75

Try it i never have used it. I don't Think it will stick to the plastic though.

Jerrys HO

Low temp hot glue works best IMHO.
Easy to pull up if needed with a scraper.

Jerry

Doneldon

almu-

The carpenter's glue should work just fine but you don't need the expense or strength of that. All you're really doing is sort of tacking the track down; it's not like it will have a lot of stress on it.

I use inexpensive caulk or construction adhesives. The only thing you have to worry about is whether your material is plastic safe. I noticed that an earlier poster mentioned Liquid Nails. That's a great product but make sure you get Liquid Nails for Projects; regular Liquid Nails is not plastic safe. These products hold very well and can be easily removed if need be.

Good luck with your layout and please keep us up to date with your progress.
                                                                                                                     -- D

almudallal

Thank you all for your feed back
I think I read once that low tempreture glue works well and I have  lots of it ,so I may try that first

regards

jbrock27

I agree with Jerry's recommendation of hot glue.  I have used it to secure regular sectional track (w/o roadbed) to a trestle which held it fine and later when I needed to remove the track w/o destroying the trestle, it was possible to do so.

Re: Liquid Nails: I went to buy some "for Projects" to use to adhere foam board to plywood and when I read the label, it did not include foam board as one of the items it was recommended for.  I therefore checked out the next Liquid Nails priced product (about 50 cents more) and it did include foam board as one of the recommended   uses.  I used that and it worked great, called Liquid Nails Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive, Interior and Exterior.
My point, when it comes to using any glue or adhesive, it pays to read the label on the product to see what it can be used with/for as well as what it should not be used with/for. 
Keep Calm and Carry On