News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Acela spectrum Passenger Train

Started by trainmainbrian, March 31, 2014, 09:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainmainbrian

Hi Everyone..... OK I have a concern about my Bachmann Acela Spectrum Train.....

What's with the Deal with this Train......
Every Thursday Night I have a few of my fellow Railroad buddies over for a running session & I am asked on a daily basis if I would sell my Acela Passenger Train & I politely tell my friends I am not interested in Selling the Acela... My Friends tell me they would love to have my Train on there Railroad layout........

My Dad got me this Train set @ a Train Show we both attended @ the time the guy sold it to us for $170.00 he org wanted $220.00 but by the end of the Day "We attended the show on it's last day" He made us an offer & we excepted guess he just did not want to restock the Train set in his hobby shop store is all we could figure.... The Acela came with EZ-Track & DC controller 4 passenger cars & 2 Loco's Head Loco is powered & Rear Loco is a Dummy Un powered  Lead Loco # 2003 Rear Loco is #2004

Only thing I did was upgrade lead Loco to DCC & Sound
& Fully Weathered the hole Train...

WHY does my Friends always ask me if I would sell this Train my one Friend said Bachmann does not make the style Loco I have... & Bachmann replaced the locos with a HHP Loco...
What is the Value of this Train ??????....

I am now thinking I have a Train worth some Value I have my Acela Train since 2004 " I have this Train a wile now The Show we got it from No longer comes to my Area  "It Was Called the Broken Rail Train Show" Held @ Lehigh University.. & the Show was put on by a Local Model Train Club called the Lehigh & Keystone Valley Model Railroad.. This Club also made an Issue of Model Railroader recently..... Did anyone attend this show Its was ONLY held 1 time...  So I don't even Recall the Year this Show was... I know it was a wile though.....

Any Help or insight would be helpful....
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

West Bound

Did you Check Amazon and ebay? Several sets are being sold. Vary in price from $250  to $400. - John

Doneldon

Brian-

I'm sorry to have to say that your train isn't a collector item and it never will be. In today's world the only things which develop collector value are those which are rare and quite valuable to begin with or a very, very few things which are in limited supply and in flawless, never handled, never operated condition. Even the packaging, including the plastic overwrap, must be just as it was released by the factory. The Acela has never been the most popular set in the first place, it's a plastic, high-production toy, and yours has been run. That pretty much guarantees that its plastic has been torn off and it's been removed from its box. Don't let the $400 asking prices on eBay mislead you; they are there because no one is buying them at that price except possibly the rare impatient person who wants one RIGHT NOW!!! Check the completed auctions to see what the sets really sell for.

So ... enjoy your train, play along with your friend who says he wants to buy your set, and don't look at your trains as an investment. It's like the wine I purchase. Yes, some of it goes way, way up in price but I buy it to drink it and that's what I do. I may sell the occasional bottle or donate one to a charity auction so I can recover my cost but mostly I just enjoy my wine and the fellowship of good friends who drink it with me. That's better than money any day and it avoids worrying that this case hasn't gone up in price or those bottles will never pay for themselves.
                                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

CSX474

The train that you refer to may have sentimental value to you, so I would keep it. Do not sell it, shop around for a while and see why there is so much hype over it. Go to a few more train shows, and get educated maybe there is something you missed about it. Good lick in holding on to it.

Jhanecker2

trainmainbrian :  Since the Acela trainset is still  sold by bachmann currently  .   Tell your "buddies "  to  buy their very own brand new train-set from bachmann  or one of the many hobby shops  that sell  bachmann trains .  Were your  "buddies " expecting  a deep discount  from you for less than the replacement  cost of the train  ?    Everybody  "wants" but if you aren't  willing to pay full price you don't want it bad enough .  John 2.