News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotive Speed

Started by amarzulli, May 20, 2014, 09:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amarzulli

I have a TYCO DC 4015 Diesel Locomotive.  It runs about 10 x's faster in reverse than in forward.  Can anyone help me resolve this problem?  The forward speed is like a snail.

jbrock27

Sadly, going too fast is a function of many TYCO diesel locos.

If you can remember, try to post a question in one place only.  It may annoy some folks you have asked the same question in 2 locations on the Board.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: amarzulli on May 20, 2014, 09:51:43 AM
I have a TYCO DC 4015 Diesel Locomotive.  It runs about 10 x's faster in reverse than in forward.  Can anyone help me resolve this problem?  The forward speed is like a snail.

As I wrote in the General Discussion and will repeat here.

Buy a decent product, not a low end, very low end Tyco product.

A Bachmann Spectrum for example.

That will solve your problem.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

I 2nd that suggestion to include any quality loco available today and would defer indefinitely, the time, money or effort to renovate, restore or modify the TYCO.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Amarz, does this 4015 happen to be the same Santa Fe F7A  (silver/red warbonnet scheme) you were asking the question of, 3 months or so ago, about how to take the wheels off?
Keep Calm and Carry On

RAM

To fix your Tyco locomotive, take a 5lb hammer and one quick blow, and it will run the same speed both directions. Zero.  

jbrock27

...it's even funnier reading this the 2nd time! :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

ALCO0001

Hello,
The answer is the motor bearings have excessive play causing the direct drive gear to cock at an angle binding the teeth from the direct drive gear in one direction and creating a loose mesh in opposite direction basically saying it is junk and time to find a motor/power truck assembly .Some have not learned, the ego from the unsinkable titanic does not work for people in general.
Jack

jbrock27

"ego from the unsinkable titanic"

Sorry Jack,  I'm not following your TITANIC reference ???
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jhanecker2

Jbrock : the reference is to the supposed theory that the the Titanic was so well built  and that the ship was so well designed that it could no longer sink . This allowed it to be fitted with fewer  lifeboats than the number of people aboard , saving the steamship company considerable money . The general public basked in the belief  that  superior British  technology  had defeated Nature  .  Cultural Hubris . John2.