Leased Rutland RS-3 switching East Farnham Yard.

Started by rogertra, May 25, 2014, 12:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Just thought I'd post a photo.  Obviously, scenery not even started yet.

Cheers

Roger T.

ebtnut

richg

Quote from: ebtnut on May 27, 2014, 04:13:10 PM
Roger:  Pic didn't load.

Loaded for me. Maybe he did something a short while ago.

Rich

rogertra

The picture didn't load?

It's still there when I log in and I didn't move it in photobucket.

Once I've posted photo(s) I never move the Photobucket location.

Don't know why it wouldn't load but here it is again and with a bonus photo following -

Cheers

Roger T.

Irbricksceo

Very nice, I love your work making the track look worn and aged. Funny, The cars are so weathered that the Locomotive looks shiny!
Modeling NYC in N

rogertra

Quote from: Irbricksceo on May 27, 2014, 11:53:25 PM
Very nice, I love your work making the track look worn and aged. Funny, The cars are so weathered that the Locomotive looks shiny!

Thank you.   Yes, loco has yet to be weathered.  I've been too busy to get around to it.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.  ;)

OK, you shamed me, I've just given RUT 207 a real quick weathering job.  She doesn't look quite as shiny now.  :)

Here she is switching Nacan Products Ltd. in the Farnham East industrial yard.  This shows how useful photos are. I really must fix that leaning white tank body and look at that great blob of soldier bottom centre.  :)

Cheers.

Roger T.

jonathan

Really enjoying your progress.  Congrats! Looks marvelous.

I also had trouble opening your photos at first.  Turns out our internet service is blocking certain sites unless I log in and temporarily turn off the protection software.

This can't be good news for photobucket.  At least I know how to get to the photos.  This could be a pain, as I use photobucket as well.

Regards,

Jonathan

electrical whiz kid

Actually, the Locomotives on mot roads-Rutland notwithstanding-were maintained at least minimally; laundering included.  Cleaning a locomotive-washing, cleaning and replacing lamps, repairing bent rails, steps, etc. makes sense as build up grease, oil, dirt, etc., can pose a definite working hazard.  Freight cars were there only for one purpose, keeping them cleaned off was a rare occasion.  Passenger cars were routinely cleaned for obvious reasons.
Steam locomotives were really hit with the steam jenny, for other reasons, like cleaning off wheels and related parts to inspect for cracked castings, etc.
Rich C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on May 31, 2014, 02:49:05 PM
Actually, the Locomotives on mot roads-Rutland notwithstanding-were maintained at least minimally; laundering included.  Cleaning a locomotive-washing, cleaning and replacing lamps, repairing bent rails, steps, etc. makes sense as build up grease, oil, dirt, etc., can pose a definite working hazard.  Freight cars were there only for one purpose, keeping them cleaned off was a rare occasion.  Passenger cars were routinely cleaned for obvious reasons.
Steam locomotives were really hit with the steam jenny, for other reasons, like cleaning off wheels and related parts to inspect for cracked castings, etc.
Rich C.

Rich.

Generally speaking you are correct.  However, diesels get dirty car bodies.  They were/are not washed that often, passenger units excepted but even then, the trucks and roofs were not usually cleaned.  Passenger cars only the interiors were cleaned and the sides of the carbody.  The trucks got dirty, as did the ends and the roofs.  Look at photos of cleaning plants and you'll notice the brushes and water sprays are only at car body height,  not at truck level.

Steam, freight engines cared for less than passenger engines but passenger engines were generally tarted up before a run, that's what wipers were employed for.

All models, for a realistic appearance, should get some weathering, to a greater or lesser degree.  Even passenger cars and passenger diesels get dirt on the trucks, roofs and ends and this was rarely cleaned as nobody noticed.  This should be modelled if you want realism.  Freight cars?  Usually the reporting marks were kept cleanish but the car body?

I even weather my road vehicles, even if it's just a quick spray of Dulcote over the body to mute the shine and give a more realistic look.

I think nothing spoils the look of a model railroad, no matter how well it's scenicked or detailed than shiny, right out of the box, locos, rolling stock, buildings cars etc..

Cheers

Roger T.

Barry Karlberg

Nice work, Roger. The layout coming along good.

Barry