News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

motor that won't work

Started by ewing railroad, June 17, 2014, 10:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

Quote from: Yardmaster on June 19, 2014, 05:15:33 PM
"- buy a box of junk and have Bachmann trade you a box of new locos for $25 each"

Guess it's like an Urban Legend. There is a screening process and Bachmann will not take back a box of parts or flea market engines -  although there are folks out there that try.....

YM-

Just to be clear, I said NOT to expect this.

-- D

jbrock27

Everyone relax. 

No one said anyone here suggested doing this: buy a box of junk and have Bachmann trade you a box of new locos for $25 each

Keep Calm and Carry On

the Bach-man

You have no idea how many people come up to us at train shows and say they're going to do just that-
one guy even asked us to take the box back to Philly for him to save the postage!
Sooner or later it will be spoiled for all of us...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Doneldon

Quote from: the Bach-man on June 19, 2014, 10:17:37 PM
You have no idea how many people come up to us at train shows and say they're going to do just that-
one guy even asked us to take the box back to Philly for him to save the postage!
Sooner or later it will be spoiled for all of us...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Bman-

I wish I could say that I don't believe people have done or said these things but I'm afraid I've been exposed to the public, or at least a small part of the public, that I absolutely believe this has occurred. Please don't hesitate to recommend that people who do this kind of thing take the proverbial long walk off of a short pier. I'm sure I'm speaking for many, many other modelers in saying that you have a right, and a responsibility, to protect the company from leeches who do things like this. Honest, real hobbyists won't hold it against you at all. And as for the folks who might get upset about it, well, they can take a long walk too.
                                                                                                                                            -- D

jbrock27

While you are right Mr. B that I have no idea how many try to pull this since I am not the one they bring their defunct engines too, I have no doubts it happens frequently.   It is naive to think it does not.
I agree with Doc's point of view.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

since new in (blue) box bachmann locomotives can often be found at train shows for under $50, why not do it right in the first place? buying old 1970s train set junk, then expecting the company to replace it under warranty seems like beating a dead horse to me. buy decent stuff in the first place and chances are you'll never have to return it.

older bachmann pancake motors suffered from plastic bearings which would soften if the motor got hot. once this happened, the motor shaft would shift into the softened plastic and seize up. replacing it with another pancake motor will get it back running but for how long? if the locomotive is something unique that you'd like to see run again, why not try buying a new locomotive of a similar style, then modifying the old body to fit the new chassis?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid