Mogul Spectrum 2-6-0 problem

Started by Gerryk, July 02, 2014, 10:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerryk

My locomotive motor is not making the drive wheels turn.  They turn as if not connected to the motor.  Any ideas of why...and how to reconnect the works?

All suggestions appreciated.  I have a 5th grandson anxious to get to know the "Delaware".

richg

Quote from: Gerryk on July 02, 2014, 10:34:00 PM
My locomotive motor is not making the drive wheels turn.  They turn as if not connected to the motor.  Any ideas of why...and how to reconnect the works?

All suggestions appreciated.  I have a 5th grandson anxious to get to know the "Delaware".

I think this is the Sound Value HO Also 2-6-0. To my knowledge Bachmann did not make a Spectrum 2-6-0.

If the drivers turn as if not connected to the motor, sounds like someone was pushing it along the tracks and stripped one of the plastic gears. Enough pressure on the loco and the drivers will turn enough to strip at least one gear. That has happened to some in the past.
To my knowledge, that is the only way the wheels will turn without the motor connected. There is a lot of gear reduction.
I suspect you might hear the motor turning when the power pack is connected to the track and the loco sitting on the track. Turn up the pack all the way.
Sounds like it has to be returned for repair or replacement.
Others will comment.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: richg on July 02, 2014, 10:57:51 PM
Quote from: Gerryk on July 02, 2014, 10:34:00 PM

I think this is the Sound Value HO Also 2-6-0. To my knowledge Bachmann did not make a Spectrum 2-6-0.

If the drivers turn as if not connected to the motor, sounds like someone was pushing it along the tracks and stripped one of the plastic gears. Enough pressure on the loco and the drivers will turn enough to strip at least one gear. That has happened to some in the past.
To my knowledge, that is the only way the wheels will turn without the motor connected. There is a lot of gear reduction.
I suspect you might hear the motor turning when the power pack is connected to the track and the loco sitting on the track. Turn up the pack all the way.
Sounds like it has to be returned for repair or replacement.
Others will comment.

Rich

I agree with Rich.

Sounds like little hands have been pushing down on the locomotive trying to make the wheels turn and stripped, sheared or broken the gear on the axle.

No fix for that I'm afraid.  Time to send it back for repair.

Cheers

Roger T.

Bucksco

Best to contact the service department.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service_2010.php

Gerryk

You nailed it.  It has to be the gears...
and getting into the gear box is beyond me.

The beast needs grooming, and after 4 little guys
it's about time.