NEW HO MODERNIZED-AMERICAN (4-4-0) Quest

Started by MarkInLA, June 23, 2014, 07:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInLA

Hi. I now own this loco. It runs very smoothly and not even broken in yet. The detail and appointments are good as are the extra, alternative domes, trucks and pilot wheel types in box. Headlight is very strong too, but wish it was a tad less amber. I do not like the 2 cow catcher type pilots with it (one is on it). They ride too high above rail head (looks to be a 12" to 16" space). I tend to think these are from another discon loco issue such as the old 10 Wheeler but that this one's pilot beam is this much higher. The switching, stepped-type pilot is correct length, but its strap hangers will not snap into place in the mounting holes on beam, plus not sure if the existing single steps on each end are to remain along with insertion of the 2 switcher pilot straps. IE, should there be 2 strap hangers or 4 present on beam ? Do I need to add glue to pins ? Finally, if I can, can I add weight above rear drivers ? How ? Lead ? Where ?         Thanks, Mark

ebtnut

For extra weight in a 4-4-0 I've glued some sheet lead onto the underside of the cab roof.  Paint it black and its virtually invisible.

ALCO0001

Did the same thing , but added a large split shot fishing sinker into the smoke box and a spring to the pilot truck for a little better balance for pulling grades,seems to keep the weight on the offset drivers a little better.The cover comes off easy , but watch the wires for the light ,they break easy ;D!
Jack