News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Modified Temp. Staging.

Started by rogertra, July 28, 2014, 02:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Added a couple of more tracks in the temporary staging yard and lengthened all the tracks to enhance operation.  Two longest tracks will now take 21 car plus van freight trains and motive power, either steam or two diesels.  This is up from 14 cars previously.  The yard throats at each end were reconstructed using wye switches as the first switch to give a nice fan to the yard, which gained a few car lengths on the six original tracks plus another four feet was added to the benchwork at one end which enabled me to get the 21 car length tracks.   Obviously, a little refinement is needed, tracks need a final straightening up but, as this is temporary and it's staging and it works, I may not bother.  :)

Track number one still needs to be double connected at one end.  Hobby shop usually has lots of Atlas No. 6 code 100 switches in stock and not that many code 83.  I use code 83 for all visible trackage and code 100 for staging as code 100 is slightly cheaper.  Yesterday, lots of code 83 switches but only three No. 6 code 100 left hand switches and no right hand switches.  This explains why track number one is only connected at one end.  D'oh!!!

Irbricksceo

Modeling NYC in N

jonathan

Now I am truly jealous.  Would love to have room for a staging area.  Great stuff, man!  Keep on sharing.

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Quote from: jonathan on July 28, 2014, 07:00:37 PM
Now I am truly jealous.  Would love to have room for a staging area.  Great stuff, man!  Keep on sharing.

Regards,

Jonathan

I'm waiting for a friend of mine to get down to the USA, he goes there almost weekly, to bring back a product called "Duraflash".  It's a 50' x 24" roll of vinyl flashing that's not yet available in Canada.  Once I have that, I'll be able to start on scenery as I'll use the Duraflash as my backdrop.

I can't wait to start scenery.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraFlash-24-in-x-50-ft-White-Vinyl-Deck-Flashing-DF-24501/100676240

Cheers

Roger T.