News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GP7 Sound Value

Started by drm227, July 23, 2014, 04:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drm227

I purchased a Sound Value RS-3 last year, and just got a Sound Value GP-7.  The price has not changed, but the GP-7 has a couple noticeable improvements over the RS-3:

1. The lights in the GP-7 are much brighter than the ones in the RS-3 (incandescent vs LED?)

2. The engine sounds are much clearer on the GP-7.

Mr. Bach Man, is the improvement in the sound due to (a) a better speaker, (b) an improved decoder, or (c) better sound files?  Is there something I can do to my RS-3 to make it sound as good as the GP-7?

Thanks,
Dennis

Doneldon

drm227-

You can always improve your sound performance with a larger speaker or, especially, a larger baffle. Just be sure that your baffles are sealed or the sound will be muddy.

The first thing I'd do is check whether the baffle on the RS-3 is fully sealed. Second, I'd explore whether I could increase the volume of the baffle. Last, I'd se if I could put a larger speaker in it. With the small audio systems in our locos, we can't expect truly realistic sound. That's the down side. The up side is that even minor increments in speaker or baffle size can make a substantial improvement.
                                                                                        -- D

bapguy

Is the speaker in the fuel tank on the RS3? If so, where the speaker face the fuel tank, drill small holes through the fuel tank. Look at the fuel tank on the GP7, you'll see dimples in the raised part where the speaker rests against the fuel tank. I replaced the LED's on my GP7's as I didn't like the orange color.  Joe

richg

I read an article about the RS-3 in another forum. The writer says the speaker hole is about 9/16 inch. Speaker sound is low.
He put in an oval speaker above the, I think, the rear truck. He made a baffle using styrene.
One person replaced the yellow LED's with golden white ones.
The GP-7 has a one inch speaker.

I used a 16 x 35mm oval with styrene baffle in two 44 tonners and a 70 tonner as both of those are a little smaller so I know it can be done.
Tried to PM you with the forum link but your email is hidden.

Rich

DAVE2744

Hi Dennis, I also purchased an RS3 last year. I thought the sounds were somewhat low. Clarity was good. I reset CV 128, master volume to 125.  Reset CV 116, exhaust control to 39. Reset CV 131, exhaust volume to 255.  Much, much better.  The ALCO prime mover sounds are right on.  If you do take it apart, look for signs of the baffle chamber and/or the speaker being loose, as this will definitely affect the "crispness" of sounds. If the baffle chamber pieces are not snug and tight this will also affect the sound tremendously. Good luck, this is a fine running engine B'mann produced. Dave

rogertra

Quote from: DAVE2744 on July 24, 2014, 05:09:17 PM
Hi Dennis, I also purchased an RS3 last year. I thought the sounds were somewhat low. Clarity was good. I reset CV 128, master volume to 125.  Reset CV 116, exhaust control to 39. Reset CV 131, exhaust volume to 255.  Much, much better.  The ALCO prime mover sounds are right on.  If you do take it apart, look for signs of the baffle chamber and/or the speaker being loose, as this will definitely affect the "crispness" of sounds. If the baffle chamber pieces are not snug and tight this will also affect the sound tremendously. Good luck, this is a fine running engine B'mann produced. Dave

Now, if only Bachmann produced one in either undec, CPR maroon and grey in block lettering, I'd be a happy camper.  I know they do one in CNR green and yellow but I can't justify another CNR locomotive.  :(

The CPR in block would be converted to a passenger unit, with the addition of the steam gennie details and a water tank under the frame and be assigned to the pool GER/CPR daily Montreal - Maritimes passenger.

Ah well, may have to get one or two in a black scheme and just repaint them for GER freight service.

Cheers

Roger T.