News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Curved turnout

Started by Bill Baker, July 06, 2014, 10:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Baker

Forgive me for asking about a non-Bachmann item, but since they don't manufacture one I don't see any harm.

I'm in the initial stages of planning my 4th and final layout since I've been absent from the hobby for a couple of years.
I'm thinking of having a 7.5 Shinohara right turnout leading into my yards, but I need to know what the outer and inner radii are.

Also, has anyone had any experience with the Shinohara three track turn out? I'm really concerned with any wiring anomalies or electrical contact problems.

Thanks for any advice.

Bill
Bill

Hunt

Walthers Shinohara Track
Code 83 Nickel Silver #7-1/2 Curved Turnout - Right
Inside Radius 28", Outside Radius 32"

Bill Baker

Thanks Hunt, I think that will work.  Any thoughts on the triple turnout?

Bill
Bill

Hunt

Quote from: Bill Baker on July 07, 2014, 12:10:13 AM
. . .  Any thoughts on the triple turnout?

Bill
Depends on when the turnout produced.

Click Here scroll down to info about 3-way.

Compare gaps and jumper wiring to the factory wiring of turnout you have. 

ebtbob

Hunt,

Is there a place online that I can go to in reference to curved turnouts and their radii?
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

rogertra

Quote from: ebtbob on July 20, 2014, 09:58:32 AM
Hunt,

Is there a place online that I can go to in reference to curved turnouts and their radii?

Google the name of the company whose track you are interested and they should have the radii listed.

I just Googled "curved switch" and "curved turnout" and first one I came across was Walthers and that gave me both radii.

Cheers

Roger T.

Hunt

Quote from: ebtbob on July 20, 2014, 09:58:32 AM
Hunt,

Bob,
Do you require more specific information than what was supplied by Roger T.?

ebtbob

Hunt,

It is now 11:30pm Sunday night,  and I just saw Roger's reply.   His is helpful,   but I was wondering if there was a site that might say the different radii in general.   If Walthers makes a #8 curved turnout and Peco makes a #8 curved turnout,  would they both be the same radii?    I know that there can be a difference between straight turnouts from different manufacturers and sometimes the nomenclature is different,  especially with Peco.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

rogertra

Quote from: ebtbob on July 20, 2014, 11:33:12 PM
Hunt,

It is now 11:30pm Sunday night,  and I just saw Roger's reply.   His is helpful,   but I was wondering if there was a site that might say the different radii in general.   If Walthers makes a #8 curved turnout and Peco makes a #8 curved turnout,  would they both be the same radii?    I know that there can be a difference between straight turnouts from different manufacturers and sometimes the nomenclature is different,  especially with Peco.

Best thing is to Google "peco turnout" or "atlas turnout" etc., etc.  + "radius" and you'll get all the answers.

Too many to list - plus I'm off to work.  Cheech and Chong.  Oldies but goodies.

Cheers

Roger T.

Hunt

Quote from: ebtbob on July 20, 2014, 11:33:12 PM
Hunt,

Bob,
I use to have a Peco vs Walthers Shinohara Track comparison worksheet with all the need to know info but that was in the some 600+ pages/files of technical documentation I shredded or deleted its file from my computer while ago.

See if following helps you build what you would like to have.
Peco Turnout Dimensions
Click Here
When the PDF is on your screen, clicking on "Full Screen" makes it easier to read. As you use it double check against current product info found in Peco web site
Click Here

For Walthers Shinohara Track
Click Here

ebtbob

Hunt,   thanks for your assistance.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress