News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Quick Question for turnouts

Started by Irbricksceo, July 20, 2014, 04:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

Hey all, Real quick, How many degree's offset it the divergent of a #5? I'm adding a small mine yard and I want to bring the divergent back to parallel.

Thanks!
Modeling NYC in N

765 Fan

It goes 1 foot vertical for every 5 feet horizontal...
or....  11 degrees, 32 minutes, 13 seconds....

Can't help it...
I was a Civil Engineering Major...

Hunt

With a Bachmann HO E-Z Track #5 turnout use
     one    2.25" straight item no 44513
     one  33.25" radius 12 degree curve track item no. 44509
to bring the divergent back to parallel.

12 degree 33.25"
         /
      2.25" 
      / 
   #5 === 9" straight

Irbricksceo

Modeling NYC in N

rogertra

Quote from: Irbricksceo on July 20, 2014, 04:03:01 PM
Hey all, Real quick, How many degree's offset it the divergent of a #5? I'm adding a small mine yard and I want to bring the divergent back to parallel.

Thanks!

The frog number tells you the divergence.

No. 5 = one unit of separation for every five units of run.

No. 6 = one unit of separation for every six units of run.

No 11 = one unit of separation for every 11 units of run.

And so on.  The "unit" can be anything you like.  Inches, feet, centimetres, fathoms, astronomical units.  It doesn't matter proving both are the same.

For the degrees of separation, you'll need the mathematics provided by Hunt below but usually we modellers just go by the frog number.

Cheers

Roger T.

Irbricksceo

I am familiar with what the frog numbers mean, Just not the degree's of separation and thus what I would need to bring back to parallel. I'm sure If I bothered to whip out my Trig book I could find it but regardless, now I know.
Modeling NYC in N

rogertra

Quote from: Irbricksceo on July 21, 2014, 02:52:10 AM
I am familiar with what the frog numbers mean, Just not the degree's of separation and thus what I would need to bring back to parallel. I'm sure If I bothered to whip out my Trig book I could find it but regardless, now I know.

"Bring them back to Parallel"? 

Sorry, you lost me.  Do you mean, for example, you have a switch leading into a siding and you want to bring the siding track back parallel to the main track?

In that case, you just put a curve that is larger than your minimum radius at the end of the diverging road of the switch to bring that track parallel to the main track and two inches on centre.  That's typical centre to centre distance between track.  NMRA suggests 1 13/16" as the "scale" distance but two inches is more convenient.

Is that what you were asking?  I'm not sure because many modellers tend to over  complicate things, not that you are doing here.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

ALCO0001

Hello People,
Great Answer !That opened a page in me that was not opened in a wile.I did study this long ago.Wow the things I forget!  I will also keep this in my files!Thank You! Need more of this kind of thing here to keep some of us from walking the fence with a short fuse ;D
Jack
A good day of fishing is a good day of fishing ,even without the fish!