News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

track plans

Started by union pacific 4014, July 31, 2014, 12:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 4014

where can i find  union pacific track plans ?   i have Google it  didn't find any 

Doneldon

4014-

I don't know that searching for Union Pacific track plans will yield much. The reality is that every aspect of real railroads is so extensive that it's not possible to accurately model the actual world except in a few very specific cases. Accordingly, a model railroad which is to mimic a real rail facility starts with the prototype and is then designed to reflect it rather than the other way around.

I'm sure that you can understand why there aren't files of track plans for specific railroads. Everybody has a different size modeling space and the shape may well be unique. Modelers choose different size trains to suit their desires and the available space. And, everyone has a different idea about what his/her pike should look like. In short, designing railroads to match a given prototype, except for a specific model rail, is likely to be a big project with little or no reward.

Yes, you'll find some 4'x8' track plans labeled for the UP or the D&RGW or whatever, but they are really generic plans which seem to reflect a particular place or railroad. Thus, just about any narrow gauge railroad set in the mountains can be easily presented as for the D&RGW. Or maybe the Uinta or Sumpter Valley. Take out the pine trees and much of the exposed rock work, add some deciduous trees and suddenly the narrow gauge pike is the East Broad Top or the Tweetsie in the Appalachians.

I urge you to identify exactly what you're looking to do with your railroad and then do a search for possibilities. Model Railroader has a large free data base or you can search on line for model railroad plans generally, or possibly for mining or logging railroad plans, granger railroad plans, seaport model railroad plans or whatever you want to feature.

Good luck with your search. Please keep us informed about your progress.
                                                                                                                  -- D

union pacific 4014

ok  and in ho scale

Irbricksceo

Are you looking to model an actual UP yard? if so, you could probably find plans for one. I know that I've found plans for the Hoboken Terminal in New jersey from various era's with some basic google searching. If you have the space to model a yard, basing it on a real one would be an interesting start.
Modeling NYC in N

Doneldon

Quote from: Jerrys HO on July 31, 2014, 01:09:31 AM
Just googled and found tons...Try the fourth one, it looks the best.

Jerry-

It looks like he wants track plans, not track maps.

-- D

jbrock27

Matt, I take it the smoke alarm and burning smell issues have been resolved?
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

What you need to Google for is "Union Pacific track plats"  "Plats" not "plans".

You can find the track plats at places like this: -

http://eadsrv.denverlibrary.org/sdx/pl/doc-tdm.xsp?id=WH1610_d0e38&fmt=text&base=fa

Cheers

Roger T.

union pacific 4014

jbrock27 kinda solved it self

jbrock27

Glad to hear that.  But it sounds from your reply, like it just stopped w/o any intervention, which would still leave me wondering and concerned why, in the first place, those things were happening.
Keep Calm and Carry On

union pacific 4014

the smoke alarm where getting wet from Moisture not sure why yet  burning smell not on sure  but it went away

electrical whiz kid

Brock;
CHECK YOUR CIRCUIT BREAKER PANEL!!!!!  This is very important.  I took the advice of an electrical inspector, and every time I did a house, took the refrigerator breaker and the smoke alarm circuit breaker, and ganged them up.  If one went, so did the other.  Both breakers would then "trip".  Either you would open the refr door, and the light would be off, or you would hear the "low-battery" status indicator-one hand washing the other, also indicating a problem.  Do, however, check your smoke detector,  these things don't just " clear themselves-the went off for a reason.  However, it is your house... 
I know this isn't germane to the hobby, but it is so important, do post it-it just might save your scalp too someday.
Rich C.

jbrock27

Thanks Mr. C, but it was not me having those difficulties, it was the OP, Mr. Matt , aka, UP4014 who can't log in as UP844.
Keep Calm and Carry On