News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO scale DD40X

Started by quark51, August 05, 2014, 09:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quark51

I just bought a Bachmann HO scale DD40X and wanted to know how to make the front of the locomotive where the front coupler is look more prototypical?

Doneldon

quark-

It's easy. Find a photo of a real DD40X and modify your model to match. This is something you have to do for yourself. No one can describe the changes without doing the work for you, which risks modifying it in ways you might not like or making it look like a prototype other than the one you want. So ... start with a Google search for the road and loco you want your model to resemble.
                                                                       -- D

ALCO0001

Hello Friend,
A friend of mine got very creative with this .He took some card stock and traced out the front piolot hole along with the rear ,went and purchased some styrene plastic and a little brass in a variety pack of thickness and used the card stock as a template to cut out the insert ,then he purchased some 1/8 inch brass rod and cut it to length to replaced the frame rails that are missing on the flat frame, super glued them between the frame and the fuel tank front and rear,then he built a platform on the end of the frame rails tieing them together with sheet brass soup can thickness to build up the platform for the coupler pocket  to cover the empty space between the frame and the shell piolot area ,then later drilled out the frame rails and taped some threads to screw the frame rails to the bottom of the stock frame ,
Later he modified it a little better since the stock frame on the dcc engine is isolated from any power he used sheet brass as the coupler platform and the pilot insert and made very precise cuts to make it fit flush,no bondo!
the end result was very good .He solved the coupler problem using a swing coupler pocket ,blocked the sight of the gears, added frame detail,blocked the light that leaks out of the bottom of the shell at the ends basically finished the frame and pilot detail that was missing in a strong and effective way.Hope this helps ;D
Jack 

jbrock27

It is good to see someone, in this case Jack, offer some advice or suggestions as more and more often, these kinds of questions are simply met with "go perform a GOOGLE" or "Internet" search, "do more research" (assuming the OP has not already).  It is a wonder with those kinds of responses, that folks would continue to come here seeking advice or suggestions.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

Before a feud breaks out here I would like to point out that any kitbash or scratchbuilding project should always begin by doing some basic research (drawings, photos, etc...). In the past this required trips to the library and/or purchasing publications on the subject. Modelers today are quite lucky to have the internet available for research purposes. Detailed prototype info is just a click away and it is a real time saver. That being said it is important to take a trip to internet search engines AND read the postings here for valuable information that has already been gathered by experienced modelers....

jbrock27

I don't disagree YM.

But I think oftentimes it is assumed by responders many times, that the questioner has not done any research before posting their question and that this assumption can be incorrect and simply directing someone to the Internet where they may very well have already been, is not doing the OP any service.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

Unfortunately sometimes it takes a thick skin to post on the internet..... ;)

Doneldon

Jim-

I share your concern about knee-jerk advice to do a Google search when there is a specific question like, "How do I remove the shell from a [fill in the blank.]" I do think responders should either actually answer the question or keep quiet. To me, a go to Google referral in a situation like that seems condescending at best, and maybe downright rude. However, I've noticed that one of the folks on here who often makes such a suggestion frequently mentions that he did a search and found plenty of information on the subject. That means that he has not assumed the OP didn't do a search before writing. On the contrary, the ready presence of the information on line shows that the OP did not, in fact, try to find an answer for him/herself. I believe I am not alone in feeling a little taken advantage of when someone posts like this, expecting us to do the legwork for him/her. I ignore those posts for my own mental health but I can see why someone might want to reply with at least a little snottiness.

I made an Inet referral in this thread because of a couple of things. First, I know that there is lots of material on line which the OP could have easily used to see how to do his/her customization. His/her asking the question makes it clear that s/he did no search because s/he would have found what s/he needed had s/he done so. Second, the question is awfully vague. It isn't clear whether the question was what should my revised model look like, how do I remove the existing stack so I can put the right one on my model, or where can I find an appropriate [stack, sand dome, pilot or whatever] to replace the existing one which I don't want anymore. So I sent the OP back to square one -- first decide what your model should look like which means go research the alternatives.

I do believe we need to be as welcoming and friendly with new OPs as possible so they see this board as a resource for information and a place where they can develop relationships with other model rails. That's exactly why I answered as I did; I felt it was the most helpful response I could give. On the other hand, I can see how my response may appear somewhat curt or unaccepting. Upon reflection, I acknowledge that I should have put my suggestion in better context, perhaps stating that I wasn't sure what the OP wanted or asking him/her to flesh out the question.
                                                                                                       -- D

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on August 06, 2014, 07:12:53 PM
I don't disagree YM.

But I think oftentimes it is assumed by responders many times, that the questioner has not done any research before posting their question and that this assumption can be incorrect and simply directing someone to the Internet where they may very well have already been, is not doing the OP any service.

If the person asking the question has done some research then prefixing their question with something, "I've tried Google etc. but am having no luck figuring out how to........." may get them more help than just typing "How do I do........."

Just asking a question without doing any research is just plain laziness.  It's expecting people here to do the work for them.

I'm as guilty as the next guy by replying "Google is your friend" but that's after I've Googled their question and found the answer (usually several) on line.  Let them do the work, then ask.  If there's no answer on line, then we can help.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Gentlemen, I agree wholeheartedly with your points made about laziness.  There are people who come here and would have trouble finding their own a$$ w/their own two hands :D.  I also agree that it would be helpful when a question is presented, if the OP prefaces it with some indication they have looked themselves.  I myself make an effort to scour the Internet when I have a question or solution to look for, but that does not always mean I find it and also does not mean that I may have missed something along the search, that was right there, but yet, still missed.  I would also suggest that not everyone has the time to scour the Internet all day to search for info and save to favorites.  Perhaps bc of other commitments, they have a limited amount of time for that.  So, they search when they can, and if they can't find what they are looking for, they post their question and have the ability to check back the next day or later in the day to see if they rec'd help in finding an answer.  I would not categorize this approach as being lazy but rather trying to use what time they have in the most effective manner, by seeking the help of someone with expertise when they have come up empty.
But perhaps an OP should be asked, if they do not volunteer the info, if and where they have looked before they posted their question rather than assume they never looked.  Just a thought.

Doc, I understand to whom you are referring in regard to the "GOOGLE" replies; however, I do not see how their response in these situations means he has not assumed the OP didn't do a search before writing.   It comes across as "I looked and found it, why didn't you, stupid, it is right in front of your nose". 

I don't know why anyone would feel taken advantage of by answering or trying to answer someone else's question.  That kind of feeling makes it seem like it is their desire to hoard or covet information, which I can understand when that information is hard won by expense or grief, but then again, would it not provide some good feelings to share such experiences and information?

Some folks come across as welcoming.  Some do, most of the time.  Others never appear to be welcoming.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ALCO0001

Great point being made here. ;D