News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-8-2

Started by ryeguyisme, August 13, 2014, 08:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryeguyisme

I think after the USRA Mikado, Bachmann should do either the  a USRA 2-8-8-2 or a generic Non-USRA, Non-N&W 2-8-8-2 in its standard line

A non-USRA/N&W prototype would diversify the offerings seen in Plastic/Diecast considering it can only be found in brass. Think of all the roads that had 2-8-8-2's

Even a USRA 2-8-8-2 would be welcome considering they're not very common on the market yet found on a lot of Roads both eastern and western.

Of course this is only the plea of someone modelling western roads, considering recent medium/large locomotive offerings favor eastern roads over western.

I was kind of indifferent with the announcement of the USRA Mike considering having high hopes for a Harriman Mikado, maybe I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch and Bachmann perhaps has plans to use the chassis for a western road style locomotive.

Doneldon

If we're talking big engines which Bachmann is unlikely to produce for all the reasons
which have been discussed on this Board in the past, how about a big Yellowstone like
the beasts which hauled ore for the DM&IR, or maybe even a cab forward?
                                                                                                                -- D

ACY

Quote from: Doneldon on August 14, 2014, 03:49:18 AM
or maybe even a cab forward?
There are plenty of these available from the original Rivarossi models to the Intermountain and the Broadway Limited models that are currently being sold at your local hobby shop or internet retailer.  Many hobby shops have a surplus of the cab forwards in fact.

ebtnut

When our club shared space with a trolley museum we had open house every Sunday.  One of our members donated a Rivarossi cab-forward to use on the layout.  Virtually none of our visitors had any clue as to what it was or why.  The model is so specific to the SP that it probably isn't a good candidate these days for an outfit like Bachmann. 

rogertra

Just reissue some of the previous models.

Light and heavy 4-8-2 for example.

Both versions of the 4-6-0 but perhaps this time with the way more common piston valves.

The 2-10-2 without that odd Southern valve gear.

Add a USRA Pacific to join the announced 2-8-2.

I'm sure all of these will be way more popular than another large articulated and in the case of the reruns, much cheaper to produce as you already have the dies.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

Doneldon

Quote from: ebtnut on August 14, 2014, 04:44:05 PM
Rivarossi cab-forward. The model is so specific to the SP that it probably isn't a good candidate these days for an outfit like Bachmann. 

ACY-

As I mentioned: "big engines which Bachmann is unlikely to produce for all the reasons which have been discussed on this Board in the past."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 --D

ryeguyisme

They produced the EM-1 which is a pretty obscure engine considering  I hear more people ask for the DM&IR Yellowstone than anything B&O, the aesthetics of the EM-1 don't interest me, but if they release a DM&IR engine I would definitely be on board.

Cab forwards are plentiful, and if anything I'm surprised bachmann is coming out with the USRA Mikado, it doesn't make sense to me but if it's a better mechanism than the others by all means I'll pick up a few to repower some brass lokies.

The USRA 2-8-8-2 was found on a variety of roads, so I can't see why not

rogertra

Quote from: ryeguyisme on August 15, 2014, 06:30:44 AM

I'm surprised bachmann is coming out with the USRA Mikado, it doesn't make sense to me but if it's a better mechanism than the others by all means I'll pick up a few to repower some brass lokies.

Why are you surprised about the 2-8-2?  It was the most common freight engine out there.

Of course, I'm biased towards non articulated engines from, 2-10-2s downward, as articulated engines were,  except for an unsuccessful handful in Western Canada, unknown the best side of the 49th.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

ryeguyisme

While it may be common in the real world roads, if I really want a USRA Mike I could have one in a couple days flat without much effort because there are so many done in HO presently with all the bells and whistles. I could get a Oriental Powerhouse that would be a real puller for a ballpark $130, a high end collector's one for $250, and a run of the mill DCC/DC with sound and smoke for $200, the market is FLOODED with them. So forgive me if I must say it's not a rare model to get in HO  whatsoever and I  could be wrong but from an investment standpoint bringing another version in from another manufacturer could prove kind of fruitless.

On the other hand the competition proves in our favor as it will drive prices further down on said other models and Bachmann is being pretty smart about road specific details such as different size tenders, but will they have road specific details like marker light placement and headlight differences?

Why not bring out what has seldomly been done like a Heavy USRA 2-10-2? The tooling is there or even a DM&IR Yellowstone with the 2-8-8-4 chassis tooling?

And what of those who have been asking for Harriman locomotives?

I look at things from a marketing perspective as well as personal inquiry.

Like the $4 million dollar brass collection up for grabs and none of the major brass dealers want it. Simply put, the man owned practically every steam locomotive ever manufactured in brass and  bought 50 of each model of specific engines he liked. The thing is once is goes on the market, it'll be flooded with all these models and after so many are bought up there will be such an excess that the supply and demand ratio will make prices plummet below even that of diecast on Pre-2000's made brass. Which is good news for me but bad news for every major brass dealer out there.

It's about supply and demand, I look around online and rarely have I seen people ask for another USRA mikado to be done in diecast/plastic or even a EM-1 for that matter but I've heard more about DM&IR yellowstones and Harriman locomotives.

I hope I don't pop any rivets in this debate, if I'm wrong as I could be I am always open to learn something new  :) :) ;)