Bachmann HO 81608 Spectrum USRA Light 4-8-2 (non-sound)

Started by pds1506, October 11, 2007, 11:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pds1506

Has anyone seen the Bachmann HO 81608 Spectrum USRA Light 4-8-2 in road name Louisville & Nashville?  This is an older model and I am curious if they look good or kind of cheap?    Also, does it convert to DCC via a quick plug? 

BaltoOhioRRfan

I think MB Klein has them( www.Modeltrainstuff.com ). They look good and I believe they are DCC ready.

Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

rogertra

They are really nice models but be warned that Bachmann have no, zero, nada, spare parts for them.

I have four (I think) of them and am very happy with them.

DaveS

I purchased a L&N Mountain from Kleins last year and it is a great loco with very good detail. I saw on there web site a little while ago that they still had some left.
Adding a DCC decoder is a very simple plug-in. Just search for the notes on installing a decoder in a Consolidation( same tender).
I installed a plug-in sound decoder as my first decoder installation and it was very easy. I used a MRC mini-steam and so far it is working fine. I am aware that there have been problems with some MRC decoders but as they say " the price was right".

Pacific Northern

If there is a shortage of spare parts as previously indicated what happens to the warranty? Would they subsititute a Heavy Mountain if unable to fix the problem?
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: drhone on October 12, 2007, 05:58:52 PM
If there is a shortage of spare parts as previously indicated what happens to the warranty? Would they subsititute a Heavy Mountain if unable to fix the problem?

Not a clue.

I was kitbashing one of mine and was a bit heavy handed.   I phoned Bachmann for replacement parts and was told there are no parts for any of the light mountain models and, at the time, there was no indication when or if a new run of the locomotive was planned.

Remember, Bachmann, like many model locomotive manufacturers these days do not run any extra parts, they just make complete models.  Parts come from either excess parts left over from the productiuon run, from parts salvaged from locos that fail any quality control tests and parts salvaged from locos returned for repairs.

SteamGene

I returned a light Mountain and received a heavy Mountain in exchange.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

Well that is disappointing news. I use two light mountains on my layout which unfortunately has a couple of 18" curves in two hidden areas. The bulk of the layout has 22" curves but never the less I need the two 18" curves due to space limitations.

From the news here it appears I would in the event of an exchange end up with a locomotive that I could not use unless I removed the 18" curves - which would lead to a completely different layout.

Well, I will have to keep the use of the two engines to a minimum. 
Pacific Northern

pds1506

Someone posted a note about adding a MRC Sound DCC Decoder to this locomotive.  Is adding one as easy as plugging it in?  Will it work with the Bachmann EZ Command and will the sounds coordinate with what the locomotive is doing (such as moving forward)?  Let me have some advice as I never thought of doing this.  I have worked with regular DCC decoders but did not know sound could be as easy as just plugging it in.  Let me know if I am missing something.  Thanks.