News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Prairie 2-6-2

Started by GRASHLEY, August 15, 2014, 11:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRASHLEY

MR. BACH MAN

I purchased a Prairie 2-6-2 last Christmas.  It ran 4 or 5 times around my small (10 feet) layout when it basically quit.  The front two drive wheels were loose on the axle, flopping all over and impossible to get on the track or keep on the track.  I returned it to Bachmann and they sent me a new one, (I think) .  Because of other track issues, I rebuilt all my track, and just completed that job today.  With much anticipation, I got my new Prairie out.  It went around the track 5 or 6 times.........  The front two drive wheels are no longer on the axle, just like the last time.

WHAT IS GOING ON???????

Is this a recurring problem?  If (when) I send this in for repair AGAIN, what can I expect?  One that works or another expensive paperweight?  Do I have any other options?

All my other locos (all diesel) run fine on the new track.

Bucksco

You should call the service department and discuss the problem with the service manager.

Mark.S+10

This is a problem area with the Bachmann 0-6-0 and the 2-6-2.  I own six of these locomotives and have lots of run time on them.  I've seen this failure once before.  You seem to be particularly unlucky with your two.  I'd give the service department another try.  Bachmann has the main drivers listed in the parts section for the 0-6-0 but they have been out of stock for some time.  Maybe the service department can find one or two for you.

Have fun, Mark

kmcsjr

Definitely work with bachmann service. They have never let me down. I think steam is the toughest thing to build in n scale. Bachmann is constantly improvong the product and expanding the product line.

James in FL

Hi GRASHLEY,

QuoteDo I have any other options?

If you're comfortable tinkering, and have knowledge of quartering, try some Loctite.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/

If not, send back to Bachmann.

I would suggest this and the 0-6-0 (same lokie sans the lead and trailing trucks),
are the best (simplest) steam locos, for acquiring these skills through trial and error.

These are the locos to cut your teeth on if you want to dabble in steam.

Good luck