News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Car Query

Started by Striker1945, August 23, 2014, 09:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1945

Hey guys!!!

Been a bit since I've posted. The railway took nice shape over the summer, but has been stalled due to my move to North Carolina for grad school.
On that note I went to a train show in Spencer, NC recently and picked up six IHC Norfolk and Western Cars. Two need work before I run em' but the other four are pretty solid in condition.
I wanted to ask how good of a company IHC is?
Are they known for crappy products?
Only one car is lighted, but the other three can be easily adapted for lighting.

-Striker

jward

IHC was the remnant of the old AHM from the 1960s and 1970s. much of their stuff was made by mehano in Yugoslavia, not exactly top of the line stuff. I usually avoid their stuff.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Striker1945

So then its a good thing I didn't spend too too much then. Only dropped 20$ on the lot.

jward

yes. they can be upgraded but it will probably take some work.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Irbricksceo

I've had varied Experience. I picked up a rather nice IHC car a few years back, and their Locomotives are pretty tough. I'd say they aren't the prettiest but are simple, decent runners and easy to work on. At their normal price I'd spend the extra for Bachmann or Athearn, that said, 20 bucks for 6 of em sounds pretty good.
Modeling NYC in N

Doneldon

Striker-

Twenty dollars for six AHM/IHC passenger cars isn't a bad price. You will have significant additional expense for couplers and (especially) trucks. The paint on AHM/IHC merchandise was usually pretty good so you have a good base to work from, assuming you have good copies in good condition and they are painted for the road you want.

In my opinion, AHM/IHC equipment can be a reasonable option as long as you stay away from the locomotives. The quality control on those was not a strong point so many were really crappy. The rest of the rolling stock was okay although the trucks were lousy and everything I ever saw had X2f couplers which needed replacement. And that was not always the easiest thing to do.

Good luck with your new equipment. Be sure to keep us up to date on your progress.
                                                                                                                                -- D

Striker1945

The seller threw in four sets of kadee couplers for free seeing as one coach has those old hook style couplers I saw as a young kid, and the other coach has no couplers to speak of.
I'll try to post pics of the cars later this week!

-Striker