Intermountain - changing loco address from #3

Started by gehdoc97, August 24, 2014, 10:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gehdoc97

Hello - I recently purchased an InterMountain loco ES40DC and cannot seem to change the loco address from the default of #3.  I am using an EZ Trak DCC Control Center and according to InterMountain I cannot change the address using it.   

Does anyone have any ideas without being too technical as I am a newbie just getting into model railroading as I approach retirement?

Please respond to garyh2104@gmail.com since I cannot always get to the message board.

Thanks again

Gary

Doneldon

g...97-

I can't tell for sure from your post if you have an EZCommand DCC system or a Dynamis DCC system. I'm guessing it's an EZCommand, but regardless of what you have, Intermountain was incorrect in telling you that you cannot change the decoder's address.

Dynamis will let you assign any number you want; that would usually mean the cab number. EZCommand will only allow you to assign the loco to one of the ten buttons on the console but you an absolutely do that. Just follow the directions in the owner's manual for whichever system you have.
                                                                                                                                                                                                       -- D

gehdoc97

Doneldon - Thank you - a long explanation but filled with points of importance and interest I suspect coming from
experience in model railroading.  That experience is appreciated by newbies like me.

Thanks to all those that helped me look into this issue and resolve it - at last - a place to start, learn and improve.

I also wrote a query about changing the default (#3) on an InterMountain loco I was having trouble with.
Well, I eventually figured it out by myself and the responses I received were right on - it made me wonder about the
accuracy and integrity of Intermountain in responding to HELPING model railroaders and not in SELLING to hobbyists.

Thank you all for the help and advice - I have found a good site and experienced people just the place I need to be now.

Sincerely

Doneldon

Quote from: gehdoc97 on August 27, 2014, 09:14:42 PM
I also wrote a query about changing the default (#3) on an InterMountain loco I was having trouble with.
Well, I eventually figured it out by myself and the responses I received were right on - it made me wonder about the
accuracy and integrity of Intermountain in responding to HELPING model railroaders and not in SELLING to hobbyists.

g...97-

I wouldn't read too much into it. Go for the law of parsimony: The simplest explanation is usually the right one. In
this case, it's probably that the person you talked with at Intermountain just didn't know that he didn't know what
he was talking about.
                                  -- D