News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EM1 sound module not working

Started by labtech50, August 27, 2014, 07:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

labtech50

I recently sent an EM1 in to Bachmann for repair of a sheared off wire on the connector from the tender.  Before I sent it, I removed the sound module because I had heard that sometimes they can forget to send the sound module back. When I got it back it worked fine but when I reinstalled the sound module, it wouldn't work. I was careful to not bend any of the pins when inserting it and it seated fine but I have no sound.  Could the sound module now be bad?

ACY

Check to make sure all the pins are still intact, I believe there should be 21. Also check to make sure none are bent or have an issue that would interfere with the conductivity such as corrosion. Also check the board and all the wiring in the locomotive to make sure nothing is loose, missing or connected incorrectly or touching something that would cause a short or affect conduction.  

jonathan

labtech,

Believe it or not, it is easy to accidentally install the sound module upside-down.  I know because I did it once.  Others, who have posted a problem here, have done the same thing.  Make sure you have installed the module correctly.  The pins will insert upside-down.  Check that first.

Regards,

Jonathan

Irbricksceo

Though not related, I was just curious after I saw a sound module myself, they do not come whit speakers right? as in it's not a plug and play sound system, you still need speaker/baffle suplies. I'm just curious if they are easy sound installs to standard boards as it seems like an interesting concept.
Modeling NYC in N

ACY

Quote from: Irbricksceo on August 27, 2014, 10:19:39 PM
Though not related, I was just curious after I saw a sound module myself, they do not come whit speakers right? as in it's not a plug and play sound system, you still need speaker/baffle suplies. I'm just curious if they are easy sound installs to standard boards as it seems like an interesting concept.
The Bachmann module only works with the EM-1; it will not work without already having a speaker and DCC decoder already in place. It is not manufactured or designed to work with any other locomotive besides the Bachmann EM-1.

Hunt

labtech50

Try this. . .

1)   With locomotive and tender off track remove the sound module.
2)    Place locomotive connected to tender back on track and reset the decoder, programming 8 to CV 8.
3)   Cycle power.
4)   Remove locomotive and tender from track,  install the sound module per instructions that came with the sound module.

Place on track and turn on power, run using address 3,  should now have sounds.

ACY,
21 pins on the decoder factory installed in the tender. Sound module has the connecting socket.

labtech50

Reset CV8 to 8 with module removed. Engine ran on Address 3 fine.  Reinstalled sound module, set back on track and powered up.  Still no sound on loco as loco 3.  All wires appear to be intact.  Beginning to believe sound module may be bad.

West Bound

I agree with Jonathan. Try plugging the module in on the opposite side of the plug. - John

jonathan

What happens to many of us:  we want to plug in the module where we see the little white receptacles, instead of the other side, where the holes are much harder to see... counterintuitive if you will.  I still vote for the upside-down module.  Of course, I have been wrong before.

Regards,

Jonathan

labtech50

Problem solved!  It seems they replaced the tender with a new one at the repair center.  This one seemed alright at first, but when I removed the clips holding down the contacts for the speaker, the yellow wire had been pushed through too far.  The result was the insulation and not the wire was in contact with the board.  Once I fixed this, the sound worked fine.  The module was fine, just some poor QC at the factory on the tender.

jonathan

Congratulations! and good on you for finding the solution! 

It's a great locomotive.  I love showing-off mine whenever I can.

Regards,

Jonathan